Close-Embrace.com: New Neo Tango Shoes + Photos + Ask Maleva + Classes!

  • Jennifer Bratt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2005
      Hello All -

      Welcome to the Close-Embrace.com Newsletter.

      CONTENTS:
      1-New NEO TANGO SHOES in Stock
      2-Robin & Jennifer's Classes & Practica at Empire Tonight -- VOLCADAS @ 8
      PM!
      3-New Tango Teacher at Empire Dance: Ney Melo
      4-Four New Pages of Photos Posted to Close-Embrace.com
      5-Ask Maleva Advice Column: "My Partner Moves Her Arm & Shoulders to the
      Music"

      (Coming in the next newsletter -- more Ask Maleva questions, photos, and an
      interview with Homer Ladas of San Francisco!)

      ***********

      1. Maleva and Co. of NYC has just received another new batch Neo Tango dance
      shoes! Neo is one of the newest and most popular brands of Argentine Tango
      shoes, and we have the latest styles direct from Buenos Aires. Please click
      here for all the ordering info and photos of the Neo Tango shoes:
      http://www.close-embrace.com/neotango.html

      We also have a few pairs of Comme il Faut shoes in stock. If you have any
      questions or would like more information, please email
      jennifer@... .

      If you live in NYC and would like to try on a pair, we will be showing a
      selection tonight (June 9th) at El Abrazo Practica from 9-11:30 at Empire
      Dance (see address below).

      --

      2. The June special at Empire Dance Studio is a Tango Unlimited pass for
      $196 -- take all 12 hours of tango classes per week plus get the Thursday

      --

      3. Empire Dance Studio is proud to boast a tango staff who is dedicated to
      teaching the essential skills for dancing in the milongas, and who is

      Check out Ney's classes on Tuesday nights and Wednesday nights at Empire.
      http://www.neymelo.com/classes.html

      --

      4. New candid photos are posted on Close-Embrace.com! See familiar faces
      at South Street Seaport in NYC, as well as at the Toronto TangoFest and in

      --

      5. ASK MALEVA COLUMN OF ADVICE
      The world of Argentine Tango and the milongas is complex and can be

      * * *
      Dear Maleva,
      Occasionally I find myself with a partner who likes to move her
      shoulders or arm in time with the music. I am not sure what to do about
      that. It feels odd not to respond with similar movement, but it's not
      natural for me. On the one hand, I am not sure if I should let a
      follower lead me like that and on the other not following the follower
      inhibits making a nice connection.
      Signed,
      What to do?

      * * *
      Dear What to Do --

      Sometimes when a person is dancing (either leader or follower) and is really
      into the music, they let the rhythm vibrate throughout their whole body and
      you can feel it no mater where you are touching them. When you dance, you
      should dance with your whole body, not just your feet and legs; tango
      doesn't have to be and shouldn't be stiff. These movements should be done
      in a way that adds to the musicality of the dance, but not overdone so they
      become distracting. Hopefully this is what you feel in the followers. They
      should not be moving so much that they are jerking you around, or making the
      dance uncomfortable, or interfering with connection. You don't need to
      respond or try to do the same thing that they are doing. That would be like
      2 people talking at once and nobody listening to the other. The follower is
      not leading you; you are still leading. She is just expressing what she
      feels in the music.

      There is a common arm movement that I've felt a lot of men do, especially
      the older dancers. The guy will lightly pulse his left arm to the rhythm as
      he leads something Quick-Quick-Slow. Ladies can do this too. It should be
      subtle and not really visible. Although I've seen Julio Balmaceda
      performances on video where he does this arm bounce and you can see it.
      Probably there are other examples as well.

      So, you could let the follower's movement inspire you to try a similar
      movement when you hear something in the music you want to express.
      Experiment with it! It can be very subtle...or if it's not natural for you,
      don't worry about it, just let the follower do her thing.

      (Also see the past column on the "shoulder embellishment" here:
      http://www.close-embrace.com/malevaarchive/december2004.html )