10 Painful Lessons of 9/11 By Ralph Nader (Pass It On)

  • CM Boisvert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011

      --- On Wed, 8/31/11, John Stroebel <john.stroebel@...> wrote:

      HOW TO DENY ANOTHER 911 FALSE FLAG STRIKE AND A RUNAWAY EXECUTIVE BRANCH.

      ALL ingeniously simple and completely sane.

        1. Do not exaggerate our adversaries' strength in order to produce a
      climate of hysteria that results in repression of civil liberties,
      embodied in the overwrought USA Patriot Act, and immense long-term
      damage to our economy. Consider the massive diversion of trillions of
      dollars from domestic civilian needs because of the huge expansion and
      misspending in military and security budgets.

        2. Do not allow our leaders to lie and exaggerate as when they told
      us there were funded, suicidal and hateful al-Qaeda cells all over our
      country. They were never here. Actually, the wholesale invasions of Iraq
      and Afghanistan became recruiting grounds for more al-Qaeda branches
      there and in other countries - a fact acknowledged by both then-Army
      Chief of Staff George Casey and then-CIA Director Porter Goss.

        3. Do not create a climate of fear or monopolize a partisan
      definition of patriotism in order to silence dissent from other
      political parties, the citizenry or the unfairly arrested or harassed.

        4. Do not tolerate presidents who violate our Constitution and start
      wars without congressional deliberation and a declaration of war
      (article 1, section 8, clause 11). Do not let them disobey federal
      statutes and international treaties in pursuing unlawful, misdirected
      quicksand wars, as in Iraq, that produce deaths, destruction and debts
      that undermine our country's national interests.

        5. Do not have Congress write a blank check, outside the normal
      Appropriations Committee hearing process, for the huge budgetary demands
      from the executive branch for funding of the Iraq, Afghan-Pakistan and
      other undeclared wars.

        6. Do not allow the executive branch to engage in unconstitutional
      and illegal recurrent practices such as wiretapping and other methods of
      surveillance of Americans without judicial approval, in addition to
      arrests without charges, indefinite imprisonment, torture and denial of
      habeas corpus and other due process rights established by our Founding
      Fathers. Congress has passed no reforms to check the continuing exercise
      of unchecked dictatorial presidential power.

        7. Do not let the government hide the horrors of war from the people
      by prohibiting photographs of U.S. casualties; operating cruel, secret
      prisons; harassing reporters; and refusing to count civilian casualties
      in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. There is too much intimidation of
      returning soldiers - so many harmed for life - from telling the people
      what they experienced and think about these wars and their heavy
      outsourcing to profiteering corporations.

        8. Do not allow leaders to violate American principles with torture
      or other war crimes prohibited by the Geneva Conventions. Nor should top
      military brass or members of the executive branch be above our laws and
      escape accountability.

        9. Do not allow your Congress to abdicate or transfer its own
      constitutional authorities to the president. We the people have not
      exercised our civic duties enough to make our representatives in
      Congress fulfill their obligations under the Constitution to decide
      whether we go to war and act as a watchdog of the president's conduct.
      The Libyan war was decided and funded by President Obama without
      congressional approval.

        10. Call out those in the news media who become a mouthpiece of the
      president and his departments involved in these hostilities. What more
      is the military really doing in Libya, Somali and Yemen as compared with
      the official line? Under what legal authority?

      In addition, demand that news media outlets seek the inconvenient facts,
      wherever they might lead, unlike the pre-Iraq invasion period.

      The celebrated American theologian-philosopher Reinhold Niebuhr aptly
      wrote decades ago that "to the end of history, social orders will
      probably destroy themselves in the effort to prove that they are
      indestructible."

      All empires eventually eat away at their own and devour themselves.

      - Ralph Nader is a consumer advocate, lawyer and author of Only the
      Super-Rich Can Save Us. He is encouraging people around the country to
      gather in their own towns or cities on Sept. 10 to discuss ways to avoid
      overreactions to threats. Visit: www.nader.org.