English as a second language - Achtung!

  • David Stein
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2005

      Dear Eric Britton & Co.,

      My advice is to order the book or do a cross- reference using Google of "Strunk & White: The Elements of Style" byWilliam Strunk Jr. & E.B. White. The Chicago Manual of Style is also widely used among academics.

      However, I do not advocate in any way making references to the European Commission as a source for perfecting the English language. The Europeans, as of now, seem to be making the same mistake as their American counterparts in trying to develop their own version of the English language. In this sense, I am referring to the lapse into the pseudo-language of "Eurospeak". This only will polarize the English speaking world into camps-- which is totally unnecessary.

      Having trained several non-native English speaking Europeans in the habits of good scientific writing, I must say that it is more the case that too many words are often wasted in developing a sentence. Less is really better. If Europeans can recycle words the way they learned to recycle their garbage (and vice versa for Americans) we would be living in a better world.

      David Stein

    • Jane Kingswood [mailto:jane@carclubs.org
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2005
        The Plain English Campaign is a useful resource for keeping it simple. They have free guides to using plain English available on their website:

        http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/guides.html

        Jane.

        Jane Kingswood

        Carplus - rethinking car use