Address change for Kyoto World Cities Challenge Blog entries and discussions

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005

      In democratic countries knowledge of how to combine is the mother of all other

      forms of knowledge; on its progress depends that of all the others.

      A. de Tocqueville, 1835

      Dear Challenge Friends and Partners,

      We are moving ahead smartly in our organization on the vital communications side of our international cooperative effort under the Challenge, and are now ready to split our supporting eFora/newsgroups into two separate operational units.  This GoogleGroup list will from here on be used strictly  for occasional announcements and exception information as originally indicted.

      Starting this week, all the discussions and exchanges in support of the various working groups that are gradually beginning to take shape as we move from theory to action - will take place via our new Kyoto 20/20 Working Groups forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kyoto2020/.  Incidentally the best way to access this group will be via the main Bridge section then the 20/20 Working Groups link.  In addition all announcements concerning new Kyoto Blog entries will automatically be transferred to this list, where discussion and comment on them is likewise invited.  This should prove a lively and useful forum, and for your further invitation I attach below the short note inviting participation.

      In addition, you may chose to have a look under the Feedback link, the manner in which the other content is accessed.  In addition to the latest on this Google forum, you will also see a convenient link to the Kyoto Challenge Blog where you will today see a terrific article by our long time friend, colleague and member of our Council Professor John Whitelegg on The global transport challenge (“The world’s transport system wastes lives, health, and money – and is choking the planet. Citizens need to take control”)

      Finally under that Feedback link you will see and to you perhaps a bit strange new discussion and brainstorming space in the form of a Wiki (The name is based on the Hawaiian term wiki wiki, meaning "quick" or "super-fast").  If we are to create “other forms of progress in support of democracy” then we must in this global 21st century  world of ours learn “other ways to combine”.  Which of course is what the Kyoto World Cities 20/20 Challenge is all about.

      There you have it for today.  If you have any questions, or suggestions for that matter, here as always is how to get in touch.

      Eric Britton

      The Kyoto World Cities Challenge is at http://kyotocities.org

      The Commons is at http://www.ecoplan.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara          75006 Paris, France

      T: +331 4326 1323   Via Skype.com  Click here (callto://ericbritton)

      E: secretariat@...    Backup: fekbritton@...

      Note to invite participation in 20/20 Working Groups forum.

      Dear 20/20 Working Group Colleagues,

      This is to invite you to this new e-forum set up under Google to help us all keep track of our exchanges as this part of the program advances. The idea is that those of us who are showing up here are ready to communicate, listen and learn from each other as we try to move ahead in our own work. The Google group serves as our collective memory of our exchanges in this process.

      Please take note that the forum is organized in (a) regional groupings and (b) cross-cutting themes.  To see how it works, I invite you to go to the http://kyotocities.org site and click Working Groups on the left menu.  These categories have been created to make sure that all communications are channeled into these groups, which I hope are reasonably clearly indicated and self-explanatory.  And if you are not sure there is an Admin/General section that will be your best bet.

      I would also urge you to PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFOR POSTING TO THE GROUP AS A WHOLE.  Often we tend with a single click to share things with the whole group -- busy people let's not forget -- when they are perhaps better aimed at a single person.  Thanks for keeping this in mind.

      I hope that this forum will prove useful and easy for you to use.  If you have any questions, you know where to turn.

      Regards and welcome,

      Eric

      PS. If this turns out to be more email than you can bear, you will see that you have a No Email option, which you can call into service with a single click.  But if that’s not clear, just get in touch and we will do the necessary.