Car Free Housing
- Dear Colleagues,
I am undertaking research at Loughborough University, on Low-Car and
I am interested in the progression of the 'Car-Free' concept into mainstream
transport and planning policies around the world, particularly:
1. The different origins and motivating actors involved in car-free
projects, whether these are commercial property developers or local/
national policy initiatives.
2. Ways in which the transport policy and land-use planning framework in
different countries can assist or obstruct proposals for car-free areas,
including: Policies related to parking standards, and; Possible incentives
to car-free households, such as: Car-club membership or reduced rent/ larger
garden area instead of a parking space etc.
I am looking for examples from the U.K. and elsewhere, of:
1. Existing Low-Car/ Car-Free areas.
2. Existing policy documents related to car-free housing or reduced parking
3. Places where the car-free concept has recently been recognised by
policy-makers, and where policies are now being developed to support future
Dept. of Civil & Building Engineering