Car Free Housing

  • Dave Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2005
      Dear Colleagues,

      I am undertaking research at Loughborough University, on Low-Car and
      Car-Free housing.

      I am interested in the progression of the 'Car-Free' concept into mainstream
      transport and planning policies around the world, particularly:

      1. The different origins and motivating actors involved in car-free
      projects, whether these are commercial property developers or local/
      national policy initiatives.

      2. Ways in which the transport policy and land-use planning framework in
      different countries can assist or obstruct proposals for car-free areas,
      including: Policies related to parking standards, and; Possible incentives
      to car-free households, such as: Car-club membership or reduced rent/ larger
      garden area instead of a parking space etc.

      I am looking for examples from the U.K. and elsewhere, of:
      1. Existing Low-Car/ Car-Free areas.
      2. Existing policy documents related to car-free housing or reduced parking
      standards.

      3. Places where the car-free concept has recently been recognised by
      policy-makers, and where policies are now being developed to support future
      car-free projects.

      Thank you,

      Dave Morris
      d.morris@...