FW: [UTSG] Benefits of Speed Management

  • Todd Alexander Litman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
      Yes, traffic flow (the number of vehicles traveling past a point during a
      given time period) is maximized at 30-50 miles-per-hour (50-80
      kilometers-per-hour). A somewhat higher value sometimes occurs on
      grade-separated highways with minimum lane changing, and a lower value on
      surface streets with traffic control signals. Above this maximum point the
      "shy distance" required between vehicles in the traffic stream increases
      significantly. For more information see discussion in the "Traffic
      Congestion" chapter of "Transportation Cost and Benefit Analysis"
      (http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0505.pdf), or the "speed flow" curves in
      traffic engineering manuals.

      This means that there is a traffic engineering justification for traffic
      speed management as a congestion reduction strategy, particularly on urban
      streets.

      By the way, another good source of information on the safety impacts of
      speed management is the Australian study, C.N. Kloeden, A.J. McLean, V.M.
      Moore and G. Ponte, "Travelling Speed and the Risk of Crash Involvement,"
      Federal Office of Road Safety, CR 172
      (http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/pdf/cr172.zip), 1997, and thir more recent
      study of rural road safety impacts at
      (http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/rpts/cr204/index.cfm).