RE: [NewMobilityCafe] reducing interests in vehicular travel by g etting rid of the fun in the driving

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
      In London we have removed 20% of the traffic from Trafalgar Square by
      pedestrianising the Northern part allowing pedestrians to now walk from the
      Square to the National gallery and continue up to Leicester Square - all
      without crossing a road.

      Cars have been removed from Oxford Street for many years but we still have
      taxis and buses.

      Dave
      Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
        Yes, traffic flow (the number of vehicles traveling past a point during a
        given time period) is maximized at 30-50 miles-per-hour (50-80
        kilometers-per-hour). A somewhat higher value sometimes occurs on
        grade-separated highways with minimum lane changing, and a lower value on
        surface streets with traffic control signals. Above this maximum point the
        "shy distance" required between vehicles in the traffic stream increases
        significantly. For more information see discussion in the "Traffic
        Congestion" chapter of "Transportation Cost and Benefit Analysis"
        (http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0505.pdf), or the "speed flow" curves in
        traffic engineering manuals.

        This means that there is a traffic engineering justification for traffic
        speed management as a congestion reduction strategy, particularly on urban
        streets.

        By the way, another good source of information on the safety impacts of
        speed management is the Australian study, C.N. Kloeden, A.J. McLean, V.M.
        Moore and G. Ponte, "Travelling Speed and the Risk of Crash Involvement,"
        Federal Office of Road Safety, CR 172
        (http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/pdf/cr172.zip), 1997, and thir more recent
        study of rural road safety impacts at
        (http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/rpts/cr204/index.cfm).