Global Bike-Sharing Fleet Exceeding 500,000 Bicycles Worldwide

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 1:20 AM

    From: Reah Janise Kauffman [mailto:rjk@...]
    Sent: Thursday, 25 April, 2013 20:51
    To: eric.britton@...
    Subject: Global Bike-Sharing Fleet Exceeding 500,000 Bicycles Worldwide

    Dear Eric,

    I believe you are already on our listserv, but I wanted to draw your attention to our newest release on bike-share programs.

    Attached is a groundbreaking report by Janet Larsen, Director of Research at Earth Policy Institute, on bike-share programs.

    More than 500 cities in 49 countries host bike-sharing programs, with a combined fleet exceeding 500,000 bicycles, according to new research from Earth Policy Institute. Paris’ landmark VĂ©lib’ program, which was launched in 2007, now has company as cities around the world turn to bike-sharing—distributed networks of public bicycles used for short trips—as a way to enhance mobility, alleviate automotive congestion, reduce air pollution, boost health, support local businesses, and attract more young people.

    In the United States, more than two dozen cities have active public bike-sharing programs, including Washington, DC, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Boston, Miami Beach, Denver, Madison, and Ft. Worth. EPI’s Director of Research, Janet Larsen, points out that the number of American bike-sharing cities is set to double in the next couple years as large programs roll out in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Diego, and San Francisco, among others. New York City will become the nation’s biggest program, though at an ultimate 10,000 bikes, it pales in comparison with the mega-programs in China that boast up to 90,000 bikes.

    Please let us know if you would like to reprint, excerpt, and otherwise share this report with your readers and members. Larsen has also compiled an impressive dataset, which can be found at http://www.earth-policy.org/plan_b_updates/2013/update112.

    Here is some language you can use if you would like to share this report on your social networks.

    Facebook:

    More than 500 cities in 49 countries host bike-sharing programs, with a combined fleet exceeding 500,000 bicycles, according to new research from Earth Policy Institute. Get the full report on the EPI website.  http://www.earth-policy.org/plan_b_updates/2013/update112

    Twitter:

    Global Bike-Sharing Fleet Exceeding 500,000 Bicycles Worldwide – http://bit.ly/10Crr6S #epi #bikeshare #renewables

    More than 500 cities in 49 countries host advanced bike-sharing programs – http://bit.ly/10Crr6S #epi #bikeshare #renewables

    Cheers,

    Reah Janise Kauffman

    Vice President

    Earth Policy Institute

    1350 Connecticut Ave., NW, Ste 403

    Washington, DC 20036

    tel: 202.496.9290 x 12

    email: rjk@...

    www.earthpolicy.org
    Follow EPI:
    EPI Fan Page EPI on Twitter EPI RSS EPI Youtube Channel