From World Streets: What is the right price for Free Public Transport?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012
      Facebook

      What is the right price for Free Public Transport?

      http://networkdispatches.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/canada-vancouver-free-bus1.jpg?w=161&h=192Posted on 26 November 2012 | Leave a comment | Edit

      No Dorothy, it would be nice but there is no such thing as a free lunch. Not even in Kansas. Our cities need money to operate and maintain all the many parts of their hopefully high quality “public transport” systems”, but they also need schools, sanitation, health facilities, elderly care,  parks and public spaces, security . . . and the long list goes on.  Transport, which can finance itself largely if you have the brains to get it right, should not be poaching from these no-less critical basic needs of the community.  More,  we need our public transport systems (21st century definitions) to be both freely and extensively used (what is sadder than an empty bus!) — and at the same time build in provisions so that the system is fully equitable as well as efficient.

      http://networkdispatches.wordpress.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wordpress/img/trans.gif?m=1207340914gThe answer?              à Click here for full text: http://wp.me/psKUY-2wl