Facebook

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2012
      I remember the first time Eric referred to Facebook I started the process of
      registering. This led me to a long questionnaire during which I got fed up and
      gave up -- I have a vague recollection of being unable to answer some query
      perhaps due to some feature of my Linux operating system.

      Now it seems that practically all of Eric's postings have quoted a Facebook URL.
      Sometimes I can read them, but sometimes I'm asked for my Facebook password
      which of course I can't answer.

      I also find the format of Eric's postings much more confusing with an profusion
      of URLs.

      I have sometimes asked people what can one do with Facebook, Twitter etc. that
      one can't do with ordinary email, and nobody has given me a satisfactory answer.
      What was wrong with the old way of doing things ?

      Simon Norton
    • Richard Layman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 23, 2012
        Facebook is basically a form of "push" communications.  So is email.   It comes to you/it's pushed out by the writer via a listserv or whatever other means.  Facebook amalgamates various streams through push methods.  By contrast, going to a website to get information is considered "pull," you go to it (although you can be "pulled" by clicking on an ad, doing a search, etc.).   So technically, Facebook is a pull, constructed through push streams, and they push to you via email and other means, but you still have to go to the website.

        The advantage of push/like a newspaper is that it comes to you.

        Some people prefer email, some Facebook, some other forms of communication.  Like you, I feel overwhelmed and can't even make it through one day's email, some blogs, my own blog writing, etc.  But increasingly, especially with younger demographics, they prefer Facebook and twitter to email and listservs.

        Just as the web (and business consolidation) is leading to the decline of newspapers at least in the US and we need to expand our communications efforts accordingly, the same goes in terms of various intra-Internet platforms and methods of communications.

        Although I am still very much Facebook resistant, only using it when some organization provides no other means of contact.

        Richard Layman

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2012

          Thank you so much Simon and Richard for reminding me that we have a perfectly good forum here, and certainly I have in the last months tied up with other thing not given it the attention nor the clarity of communication which it deserves. I have tried to set that right, inspired  by your kind pushes, in a piece which I have just posted on the new World Transportation blog/archives site which you can see at http://wp.me/p2PF75-25.  I hope to be able to handle this more efficiently in the future.

        • Chris Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2012
            I agree with their two criticisms, and maybe they will agree with mine:

            Why three or four different places your posts appear, giving me a lot of extra copies in my mail box (Worldcarshare, mobilitycafe, worldstreets, etc.)?  And you've been very frisky lately.  I now file them all under a new folder, "britton", where I try to sort out the duplicates.

            Chris Bradshaw

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 24, 2012

              Your point is well taken Chris, and in addition to inadequate channeling of the various pots on my part (But I do try), the fact is that your wide range of interests has you signed in to a full handful of discussion group sites.  My problem, is that there are overlaps, and there are times when discussions of carsharing or some other field with its own forum really do need to be more broadly shared.

              Not to seem to be defending myself (my dog can take care of that), I might add that in my experience one of the most fatal weak points of transport policy and practice is that people tend to stay stuck in their area of expertise. Which leads, as we all know to . . .

              That said, I shall try to be more careful on this sorting from here on.

              Sent: Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 18:23
              To: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Facebook

              I agree with their two criticisms, and maybe they will agree with mine:

              Why three or four different places your posts appear, giving me a lot of extra copies in my mail box (WorldCarShare, mobility café, worldstreets, etc.)?  And you've been very frisky lately.  I now file them all under a new folder, "britton", where I try to sort out the duplicates.

              Chris Bradshaw