Request concerning "bike greenways"

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2012

      From: Clark Williams-Derry [mailto:clark@...]
      Sent: Saturday, 04 August, 2012 04:10

      Your email comes at an opportune time:  I have a question for you.  Here in Seattle, the city is trying to make some headway on creating what they call “bike greenways” – essentially, residential streets that are designated as bike routes. So far, the greenways implementation is pretty minimal – mostly just street signs and some paint.  But some folks here would like for them to be a little more adventurous.  I’ve been asked by advocates for some examples – particularly WITH PICTURES -- of easy-to implement, inexpensive bike- and pedestrian-friendly street infrastructure.

      We have some images in this blog post:

      http://daily.sightline.org/2012/01/23/two-wheels-and-high-heels/

      But your email you knew of any resources – either pictures or some sort of clear user/instruction manuals – that could demonstrate what’s being done to create bike- and pedestrian-friendly streets  in other parts of the world??

      No worries if you don’t have any good resources at your fingertips…I’m delighted to make your acquaintance regardless.

      Cheers!!

      -Clark

    • Richard Layman
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2012
        i didn't reply earlier because this query might be "faulty" in a way.  THe US does bike boulevards because of a variety of reasons, but mostly because we don't do widespread cycletracks like they do in the Netherlands and Denmark.  I think it's fair to say that we have a good idea of what should be done--and note a big thing that most plans and bike and ped programs don't do is programming, which I wrote in the aorementioned plan, and in this blog entry and presentation:  http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com/2010/04/best-practice-bicycle-planning-for.html .

        While I think bike boulevards are a good thing, and in a way, merely an extension of best practice traffic calming methods, is the issue really finding more "magic bullets"?  Are they out there and does it matter if we aren't already doing the things that we ought to be doing, based on best and better practice?

        But the original Sightline blog entry is good and worth reading.

        Richard Layman