Re: [NewMobilityCafe] local businesses suffer financially when a zone is pedestrianized

  • RodneyTolley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
      Readers may be interested in a discussion paper I produced for the South Australian Heart Foundation in November 2011 called "Good for Busine$$: the benefits of making streets more walking and cycling friendly". It does not pretend to be new research, but aims to be an accessible calling card for communities and traders, a summary of key evidence to date on the 'retail vitality/access on foot and bike' issue. It is available at:

      http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/GoodforBusinessFINAL_Nov.pdf

      And no, I didn't find any evidence that local businesses suffer financially from access improvements for people on foot or on bikes.

      Rodney

      Dr Rodney Tolley
      Conference Director,Walk21
      Honorary Research Fellow, Staffordshire University
      Phone (Mobile) +44(0)7788753305
      email r.s.tolley@...