bad practices

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2011
      I think that the arguments relating to the UK's High Speed 2 project are more
      finely balanced than Dave Holladay makes out.

      One of the key issues which have driven the demand for HS2 is that capacity on
      some of our classical rail routes is running out. Now true greens would no doubt
      say that this is because people are travelling too much, but true greens should
      also want to shift motorists (and road freight) to rail, which means that we are
      likely to need extra capacity in any case.

      The London termini are not interchangeable, neither does everyone always want to
      go to the City of London. HS1 has dramatically reduced journey times between
      many places in Kent and the north side of London (and beyond), and will soon be
      serving the major developments currently under way at Stratford (initially for
      the Olympics, but it will remain a major centre afterwards).

      There are legitimate concerns about the adequacy of the consultation process,
      and about whether the planning of the HS2 route has given adequate consideration
      to connectivity with the existing network. I would also say that it is wrong to
      spend large amounts of money on superprojects when local transport services are
      being cut back. However I feel that many opponents of the scheme have
      exaggerated its adverse effects, and I do not think it is right to exclude the
      possibility of high speed rail from Britain's future.

      Various transport and environmental campaign groups have got together to form
      the Right Lines Charter which I support. See
      <http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/campaigns/trains/high-speed-rail>.