Everything's different

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2011
      I've been wondering about 2 things:

      1. Did the Shinkansen have a 100% safety record until a few days ago ?
      2. Does it still ? I've been told that reports of missing trains actually
      referred to conventional trains.

      Simon Norton
    • Ian Perry
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2011
        Hi Simon,

        I believe that no Shinkansen's were lost due to the tsunami.  It's probable that one was reported "missing", due to a break down in communications following the power cuts.

        The Shinkansen operates from 6am to midnight, 7 days a week.  There have been no line closures for engineering works prior to the tsunami for about 30 years.  Here in the UK, there are engineering works resulting in service disruption every week.  It was recently reported that the average train arrived 6 seconds from its scheduled time.  Prior to the tsunami, the Shinkansen was facing problems - demand between Tokyo and Osaka was rapidly reaching full capacity.

        Unfortunately the model for HS rail in the UK is based on flawed French thinking, rather than the Japanese system.

        Ian