reply to Eric

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      In answer to point 2, ridesharing is not a "new or improved non-car service" --
      it's an improved car service, but it's still less sustainable than a
      conventional public transport service that satisfies people's needs reasonably
      well.

      The question I think we should be asking is: can we satisfy people's mobility
      needs with far fewer cars than at present ? If so then we should move towards
      such a system as fast as we can, even if there are some disbenefits for those
      who currently drive. The benefits to those who currently use other means of
      transport -- cycling and walking as well as public transport -- as well as to
      the environment generally, will surely more than offset these disbenefits.

      I do not believe that ridesharing will play a large part in such a system.
      Carsharing yes, it will become the majority mode of access to cars for those who
      still need to make occasional journeys for which public transport is unsuited.