First urban railway route in Hanoi under construction

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
      Source:
      http://english.vietnamnet.vn/social/201009/First-urban-railway-route-in-Hano
      i-under-construction-937891/ (With AD's comment: " Looking forward to see
      the fare and wonder how could they make it more tempted than that of riding
      a motorcycle for people."

      As someone who loves Vietnam deeply and has a bit of experience in transport
      in cities, including in Asia, I find this very distressing and all too
      familiar. Why on earth should anyone in a situation in which transport OD
      requirements are many-to-many and all-the-time, decide to spend scarce
      taxpayer dollars on a terrible expensive 19th century mobility system.

      If the French really want to help Hanoi, they should be proposing a light
      on-surface Strasburg style tramway. They could make their money and do good
      at the same time. But an 80 kph heavy rail system in the middle of the city
      and costing a billion Euros (as surely it will), is no kind favor.

      Shame on you European Investment Bank and Asian Development Bank for going
      along with this hubris-inspired billion dollar mistake.

      Eric Britton

      WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org | Skype: newmobility
      8, rue Jospeh Bara | Paris 75006 France | +331 7550 3788
    • Roland Sapsford
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
        Hi Eric

        I don't know Vietnam but this has perhaps been inspired by the MRT in
        Taipei, which locals say has made a very large difference to travel
        patterns and congestion?

        Cheers
        Roland

        --
        ______________

        Roland Sapsford
        +64-4-9341106(w); +64-4-3851105(h); +64-21-651105(m)

        "the most insidious form of ignorance is misplaced certainty"
        (Robert Costanza)
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010

          Your point is a good one Roland (I am just back an advisory mission in Taipei), but let me try this on you.

          That system was planned and decided back in the eighties, almost a generation ago, when the basic movement patterns were quite different than they are in Asian cities today. Also it was well before the hyper-scooterization of many Asian cities. A phenomenon which in my book changes everything.

          I would say that their most likely model" is the metro in Kaohsiung, opened last year to a resounding thud in ridership, in a city in which three quarters of the population own and use motorized two wheelers as their favorite means of getting around.  And during which ridership levels are les than one third predicted, and necessary for the survival of the existing ownership structure. Keep you eye on Kaohsiung where their first class and wonderfully executed  KMRT is almost certain to go bottom up in the coming months.

          I do not rejoice from this news, far from it. And I am also sure that the Kaohsiung metro will in time find its place but it will take time, brains and policy to make it into a real transportation asset for the city. And all that with six billion US dollars already under the surface of the city.

          Our cities have changed. So to must be our responses. I hope from the bottom of my heart that Hanoi and other cities across Asia that would like to build their own albatross will consider this and act on it.

          Eric

          PS. And please dear friends and colleagues, take this argument apart. I can stand the pain.

          .

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2010
            Is this a possibility? Each time that one of our major international
            institutions is called on to finance such a possibly inappropriate project,
            we ask for their support to prepare a Plan B. showing how an alternative
            series of investments and policies could, for the same amount of money, have
            a more positive, most sustainable and more just (and much faster) impact on
            the city.

            With the right team behind and the necessary resources, a credible job of a
            sketch plan could be completed in a couple of months max.

            I promise you that this could be done and done well. But we do need to sell
            the idea.

            From: eric britton <eric.britton@...>
            Date: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM
[...]

            "..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
            to destroy the city"

            Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
            Munich 1970

            Sujit Patwardhan
            patwardhan.sujit@...
            sujitjp@...
            --------
            Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
            Tel: +91 20 25537955
            Cell: +91 98220 26627
            --------
            Parisar: www.parisar.org