Kaohsiung 2010 Papers. Sharing/Strategy for a Small Planet. Part I

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010
      WordPress.com

      Several of my colleagues working with or watching the preparations for next weeks Kaohsiung conference on sharing in transport have suggested that the following piece is important enough to take your time with it. That is very kind but in fact I hesitated yesterday because it really does need more work (and its second half). That said I bend to their judgment and here it is. Comments of course as always hugely welcome.  Thanks. Eric Britton

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers. Sharing/Strategy for a Small Planet. Part I

      E. Britton, editor | 7 September 2010 at 16:54 | Categories: Kaohsiung, behavior, cars, climate, philosophy, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-Ye

      After many decades of a single dominant city-shaping transportation pattern - i.e., for those who could afford it: owning and driving our own cars, trucks, motorcycles and bicycles, getting into taxis by ourselves, riding in streets that are designed for cars and not much else -- there is considerable evidence accumulating that we have already [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

    • Pascal van den Noort
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2010

        Europe: more action on road safety

        The European Commission has Juy 20, 2010  adopted challenging plans to reduce the number of road deaths on Europe's roads by half in the next 10 years. Initiatives proposed in a set of European Road Safety Policy Orientations 2011-2020 range from setting higher standards for vehicle safety, to improving the training of road users, and increasing the enforcement of road rules. The Commission will work closely with Member States to implement this programme.  Europeans are calling on Member States to boost their efforts to improve road safety, according to a survey published by the European Commission today. Nine out of ten Europeans (94%) considered driving under the influence of alcohol to be the most significant road safety problem, while eight out of ten (78%) called speeding a major safety problem. A majority of respondents (52%) said Member States should focus on improving road infrastructure as a first or second priority, while 42% said the same for improving the enforcement of traffic laws and 36% for dealing equally forcefully with resident and foreign traffic offenders. The Eurobarometer survey was commissioned by the Commission as part of its ongoing campaign to cut road fatalities across the EU. Read more here.

        Pascal J.W. van den Noort
        Executive Director Velo Mondial

         +31206270675 landline
        +31627055688 mobile phone

        Visit Velo Mondial's blog here

      • Pascal van den Noort
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2010

          Gehl & Hook: a cool duo

          Urban consultant Jan Gehl and Walter Hook have together set out ten key steps to creating more sustainable cities in a new publication “Our Cities Ourselves: 10 Principles for Transport in Urban Life”. What are the ten principles of sustainable transport? 1. Walk the walk: Create great pedestrian environments 2. Powered by people: Create a great environment for bicycles and other non-motorized vehicles 3. Get on the bus: Provide great, cost-effective public transport 4. Cruise control: Provide access for clean passenger vehicles at safe speeds and in significantly reduced numbers 5. Deliver the goods: Service the city in the cleanest and safest manner. 6. Mix it up: Mix people and activities, buildings and spaces. 7. Fill it in: Build dense, people and transit oriented urban districts that are desirable. 8. Get real: Preserve and enhance the local, natural, cultural, social and historical assets. 9. Connect the blocks: Make walking trips more direct, interesting and productive with small-size, permeable buildings and blocks. 10. Make it last: Build for the long term. Sustainable cities bridge generations. They are memorable, malleable, built from quality materials, and well maintained. Velo Mondial is happy to promote both authors and their 10 principles.