India lives in her cities too!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2010
      WordPress.com

      There is food for thought here that I can only strongly recommendation to the members of this group. Eric Britton

      Transit as a social space

      In a previous post, I had argued that air-conditioning transit is a wasteful and avoidable expenditure that adds little to the comfort of the commuter, and that city planners should instead seek to reduce crowding in transit by increasing the frequency of service.  This, thankfully, is being attempted for the Mumbai commuter rail system through [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Metros and social justice: the case of Mumbai

      Karthik Rao-Cavale | September 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM | Tags: Mumbai Metro, MMRDA, Race Course | Categories: Equity in Planning, Metro, Mumbai, Rehabilitation | URL: http://wp.me/pZUdv-3q

      Amitabh Bachchan, the famous Bollywood actor, recently stirred up a controversy when he complained in his blog about the intrusion of his privacy due to the construction of the Mumbai Metro near his mansion "Prateeksha" in Juhu. The city responded with anger - public interest cannot be compromised for the benefit for one person, however [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Vendors are the security, can't you see?

      Street vendors and homeless persons should be welcome on streets - between the two groups, they occupy the streets at all times of the day and night, providing stray walkers at night the security of not having to worry about being the only person on the street. And yet, we find that governments respond to their presence in exactly the opposite manner - Mumbai wants to get security to keep people from "encroaching" the elevated walkways when they could have gotten these "encroachers" to themselves serve as security - at so much less expense and freeing up so much time of the already overworked Mumbai Police.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post