Re: [NewMobilityCafe] "Old Mobility = mechanical solutions to biological problems"

  • Richard Layman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      the funny thing about your accurate assessment,

      5. Currently our binomial choices are:
      Dependent = Public Transportation
      Independent = Private, Car Ownership

      The 3rd option is:
      Interdependent = Shared Transportation

      Is that the reality is that private transport is dependent on public subsidy at a far greater rate than the so called dependent public transportation.  Even editorials in Mass Transit magazine, a trade publication for the industry in the U.S. absolutely and completely miss this point.

      The issue is between public, mass, or personal/individual transit, and what you need in order to accomplish it.  Even walking requires shoes (mostly) and sidewalks and trails and roadsides in order to be able to be comfortably accomplished.

      The real problem, irrespective of letting roads devolve to gravel (which is of minimal impact in terms of where most miles are driven nationally and regionally), is that automobilists believe that the 50% cost of roads not paid for by taxes and fees are paid for by the fees and taxes they pay, that the parking spot they use for free or pay for minimally does not cost something nor represent opportunity costs (e.g., in DC people pay less than $20 for residential parking permits for spaces that are worth between one and two thousand dollars), that at least 50% of the U.S. military budget is likely to cover maintaining access to international oil supplies, and influences international relations and diplomacy in ways that put the U.S. at significant risk (cf. Al-Qaeda), etc.

      walking, biking and transit are interdependent modes, and they are examples of the network effect of increasing positive returns as the modes are used more, although transit has an issue because as it is used significantly more, greater investments must be made in rolling stock and personnel and the network usually should be extended as well.

      As more people walk, more people walk and drive less.  As more people bicycle, bicycling becomes safer, cars drive more slowly, sustainable mode split increases, car congestion reduces.  But as bike mode split increases to significant levels, again changes need to be made--the use of precious roadway needs to be better balanced between the modes and managed in a manner that fosters optimal use of resources.

      etc.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        This analogy is interesting.However, i am of the opinion that the new mobility is going to be more cost-effective and environmentally friendly than the old mobility.However, been able to aggregate appropriately the % of transportation planning process,especially in urban centres, that should be based on old and new mobility orders,since the two approches are closely related,would help the world  fast-track the realization of sustainable  transport options.
        Regards,
        Joshua Odeleye
        School of Transport
        Lagos State University