A new platform for World Streets - your views

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010

      I would like to invite you to have a look at a new platform that we are experimenting with eventually for World Streets/Open Edition at www.worldstreets.wordpress.com -- and if you have the time and taste for it to share with me your impressions.  For example, does it strike you as . . .

      a.     A significant improvements over the original www.WorldStreets.org ?

      b.    Worse

      c.     More or less the same

      Any other thoughts or tips you might have on not only this but any aspect of World Streets would be most welcome and warmly received.  We are working hard to get it right and your help will be much appreciated.

      With kind thanks,

      Regards

      Eric Britton

      Eric Britton | WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org  |  www.facebook.WorldStreets.org

      8, rue Joseph Bara.  75006 Paris France  |  +331 7550 3788  |  Skype: newmobility

    • Theo Schmidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
        Hi Eric,

        > I would like to invite you to have a look at a new platform that we
        > are experimenting with eventually for World Streets/Open Edition at
        > www.worldstreets.wordpress.com
        > <http://www.worldstreets.wordpress.com> -- and if you have the time
        > and taste for it to share with me your impressions. For example,
        > does it strike you as . . .
        >
        > a. A significant improvements over the original
        > www.WorldStreets.org <http://www.WorldStreets.org> ?
        >
        > b. Worse
        >
        > c. More or less the same

        Yes, c.

        > Any other thoughts or tips you might have on not only this but any
        > aspect of World Streets would be most welcome and warmly received.

        I think there is too much material. This is OK if it is there as a
        reference or to be picked up by search engines, but very few people are
        going to read much or find anything they want easily. Especially the
        people who *should* read it won't.

        I also find it confusing to keep track of all your websites under lots
        of names and but similar messages.

        On a more technical note the pages are too heavy. Under a poor
        connection it takes ages to load a page because it is so very long. It
        would be better to break the material up into more pages.

        The above is also a bit incongruous because the message of "new
        mobility" is "lean" mobility, cycling, walking, efficiency, so one would
        expect a site for this to be a bit lean and efficient as well.

        You do so much terrific work, Eric, and I feel it would be noticed more
        if you could "lose some weight".

        Best regards,
        Theo Schmidt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010

          Those are great points Theo and I wanted to share them with the group and thank you for them.

          Indeed – and without wishing to give the impression that I am trying to justify anything – it is exactly all this "weight" that I am trying to get at with the new World Streets site at www.worldstreets.wordpress.com. This is a diet of too many parts to resume here, but be assured I am working on it.

          As to the new blog/site, the goal there is not only to provide a readable and engaging daily read on our specialized topic, but also to provide a deep, accessible resource for those looking to dig deeper. Indeed, it is the good top menu which the new site offers that is one of the main reasons for our migration. If you have your time to work your way across it – work in progress of course – you should see what I am trying to do there. And your more detailed comments on any part of this will be welcome.

          You bring up a good and to me still puzzling point about the fact that the site as it stands is heavy and slow to load. Now I have just made a small improvement that should improve initial load time by 50% or so. But if you are on a high speed link you probably will not notice. But the basic problem remains, not least because we have colleagues in Africa and other parts of the world where most of the connections are via 56k links. For these I am working on creating a text only version. Stay tuned.

          Finally, let me thank you again and encourage the others of our number to do the same. Perhaps it will tie up less time of the group if you address them to me privately at eric.britton@... and if I spot something that I think may be of broader interest you can count on me to share it.

          Keep peddling Theo,

          Eric

          Eric Britton | WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org  |  www.facebook.WorldStreets.org

          8, rue Joseph Bara.  75006 Paris France  |  +331 7550 3788  |  Skype: newmobility

        • Andrew Curry
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010
            Eric,

            I think it looks better - cleaner, easier to read, and - given the Wordpress platform - probably easier to manage.

            So I'd give it an (a).

            But I also think there is something in what Theo says about weight/ weightlessness.

            This may be just about making it easier to see  more posts - by using the 'more' button to cut what's showing of a post after the first paragraph or two.

            But - if part of the battle is that there's not enough time to do all of the things which need to be done - shorter posts, linked where necessary, may help.

            Best

            Andrew

            On 7 June 2010 22:21, Theo Schmidt <theosch06@...> wrote:

            Hi Eric,

            > I would like to invite you to have a look at a new platform that we
            > are experimenting with eventually for World Streets/Open Edition at
            > www.worldstreets.wordpress.com
            > <http://www.worldstreets.wordpress.com> -- and if you have the time

            > and taste for it to share with me your impressions. For example,
            > does it strike you as . . .
            >
            > a. A significant improvements over the original
            > www.WorldStreets.org <http://www.WorldStreets.org> ?

            > b. Worse
            >
            > c. More or less the same

            Yes, c.