World Streets Profile: John Whitelegg

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2010

                               Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      Paris, Friday, February 19, 2010

       I would very much like to do a great profile telling the world a bit about John and his important contributions to a more sustainable (transport) world over all these years.

      I am very sure that John will want to have nothing to do with it, but what I am hoping is that one or more of you out there who know his work can help us assemble a first rate piece, for a world much in need of inspiring examples. I have two kinds of contributions in mind:

      1.     Someone who will be able and willing to pick up the ball and run with this – in tandem with me and perhaps others cheering from the sidelines and helping as best we can.

      2.     Or maybe you are time strapped, but still wish to make your voice heard about John's original and important contributions. Perhaps something between three and ten lines? With enough on the writer so that we can identify you in a (very) few words say 4 or 5?

      Perhaps at the same time we can do something in parallel with this to improve a bit on the rather bare bones piece on him that appears in the Wikipedia and which I have copied below.

      Let's do this together.

      Eric Britton

      PS. Read World Streets – it's the spinach of sustainable transportation

      John Whitelegg

      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      John Whitelegg is visiting Professor of Sustainable Transport at Liverpool John Moores University [1]and Professor of Sustainable Development at University of York's Stockholm Environment Institute.[2]

      From 1990 to 1993 Dr. Whitelegg was Head of Department of Geography at Lancaster University and Director of the University's Environmental Epidemiology Research Unit. He has written books and over 50 papers, including Transport for a Sustainable Society: the Case for Europe (John Wiley, 1993) and Critical Mass: Transport, Environment and Society in the 21st Century (Pluto Press, 1996), and is founder and editor of the Journal of World Transport Policy & Practice.

      Managing Director of Eco-Logica Limited[3] and Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce. Research interests encompass transport and the environment, definition of sustainable transport systems and a sustainable built environment, development of transport in third world cities focusing on Calcutta and the relationships between sustainability and human health, implementation of environmental strategies within manufacturing and service industry and development of environmental management standards. Discipline: Transport, Planning & Housing.

      He recently wrote a report into the carbon emissions of the two parliament system in Europe for Green MEP Caroline Lucas.[4]

      Whitelegg is a local councillor in Lancaster, and Leader of the North West (of England) Green Party.[5]

      1 External links

      2 Books

      • Hillman, M., Adams, J. and Whitelegg, J. (1990) One False Move: A Study of Children's Independent Mobility Policy Studies Institute, London.
      • Whitelegg, J. (editor) (1992) Traffic Congestion: Is There a Way Out? Leading Edge Press, Hawes, Yorkshire
      • Whitelegg, J. Hulten, S. and Flink, T. (eds) (1993) High Speed Trains: fast tracks to the future Leading Edge Press, Hawes, Yorkshire
      • Whitelegg, J. (1993) Transport for a Sustainable Future: the case for Europe Belhaven, London.
      • Whitelegg, J. (1997) Critical Mass: Transport Environment and Society in the Twenty-first Century Pluto Press, London.
      • Nick Williams, Maf Smith and John Whitelegg (1998) Greening the Built Environment Earthscan, London.
      • Whitelegg, J. and Gary Haq. (eds) (2003) The Earthscan Reader in World Transport Policy and Practice Earthscan, London.