Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Re:Transportation, Sharing and Sustainable Development

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2009
      ZVI,

      You raise an interesting point.  You deem that Bixi bikes easier to access than your own, mainly, I suspect, because the self-owned bike requires finding/using secure parking at both ends of each trip.

      That extra effort is worthwhile only for longer commuting trips, but shorter shopping/errand trips tip the balance for the shared-bike choice.

      This overhead of the 'trip ends' affects trip types and modes.  A car-owner usually won't choose driving unless the trip is long enough to cover the time cost of getting out of and into a parking spot on both ends of the trip.  Taking the bus isn't practical for short trips, thanks to both walking and waiting times.  In both these cases, walking is part of the 'end's' overhead, especially since it often doesn't involve moving towards one's destination.

      All this is to point out that shorter trips favour the kinder, gentler (and more informal) modes that don't have much 'overhead' at the beginning or end of each trip, but just move you along a bit slowly and convivially.

      Chris Bradshaw
      @Ottawalk