Re: [NewMobilityCafe] advertising and carshare

  • Mark Lobjoit
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2009
      I was flabbergasted when I saw this one, coming as it did not long after a government sponsored road-safety spot:

      At the end it says: "While Speedville is a fantasy, the Mitsubishi Colt is real"

      While this kind of thing is happening, there is a long, long way to go...
    • Chris Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2009
        I didn't see posts tying to car advertising to carsharing.

        Those who carshare don't have any use for advertising.  And if carsharing were to become the dominant form of car-access, advertising would decline in quantity and what existed would have to focus on the advantages of personal ownership over sharing.  This shift would be due to most cars being bought by fleet buyers interested in reliability over performance, and such advertising would occur in other media.

        I agree that, in the short run, advertising should be required to include warnings, such as: "Danger to self and others increases with distance and speed driven."  Cigarettes and medications now require these.

        Chris Bradshaw
        @Ottawalk