Announcement and call: Towards Carfree Cities IX conference: York, 28 June to 1 July 2010

  • Simon Field
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009
      Towards Carfree Cities IX: How Do We Get There?
      York, United Kingdom: 28 June to 1 July 2010

      Registration now open: http://www.worldcarfree.net/conference/

      The goal of the Towards Carfree Cities conference series is to promote alternatives to car-oriented urban and transport planning, ultimately leading to the transformation of towns and cities into human-scaled environments rich in public space and community life. The focus is on strategy, collaboration and exchange, assisting the practical work of conference participants, from organising carfree days to planning the carfree cities of the future.

      Next year's conference, co-organised by World Carfree Network and York-based members of Carfree UK, has the theme "How Do We Get There?". It will focus on bringing carfree communities to life, considering a range of strategies from temporary events to permanent street conversions to European models of new carfree development. We will also learn from and seek inspiration from the past, by looking at how the medieval pedestrian city was organised spatially, and how the lessons can be applied to future settlements. The key challenge of fostering political and public acceptability will be examined, including an exploration of the conditions under which people willingly give up the car in exchange for the benefits of living in traffic-free environments.

      We are now seeking related proposals for presentations, workshops and other activities. Programme proposals of up to two pages in length should be sent in English to york@... by 11 December. Please include:
      1. a description of your proposed activity;
      2. the anticipated or desired outcome of the activity;
      3. an estimation of the time you will require;
      4. relevant personal information or experience, and your full contact details.

      We hope to see many of you in York next June!

      Regards,

      Simon Field
      on behalf of the TCC IX organising committee.