CEI's challenge to "environmental enthusiasts"

  • Charles Komanoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      From: Charles Komanoff <kea@...>
      Date: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:33am
      Subject: Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] CEI's challenge
      to "environmental enthusiasts"

      Ken --
      I wrote at such length not to brag about being a carless
      Manhattanite/TriBeCan,
      but to throw a little mud in the eye of the sanctimonious CEI by
      documenting
      my cycling practices, which include, contrary to CEI's presumption,
      hauling
      cargo and carrying my kid into the maw of Midtown.
      And, I'll add, I logged another 10 miles today on five, count 'em,
      bike trips
      around town, all but one in rain that ranged from medium to
      torrential. Oh yes,
      the last one was a nighttime trip -- my ride home from the Auto-Free
      NY
      meeting (!) at which Rutgers Prof. John Pucher presented. Did it pour!
      But that's what rain gear is for.
      Moral: some of us anticar types do walk the talk after all. If you
      know the CEI
      author, tell him/her I await my certificate for passing the test.
      Thanks and best wishes,
      Charles

      At 08:58 AM 9/23/04 -0400, C. Kenneth Orski wrote:

      Charles -
      I am happy to add your name to the list of my carless friends (now a
      total of four). However, as a resident of TriBeCa you may be forgiven
      for not owning a car. In fact ANY resident of Manhattan would be
      foolish to own a car. Unfortunately -- or fortunately (depending on
      your point of view)-- most of us do not live in Manhattan.
      Regards, Ken
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        I do know the CEI author. So far, he tells me, he has received three (3)
        testimonials like yours. One from Manhattan, two from San Francisco.
        Best, Ken

        C. Kenneth Orski
        korski@...
        tel: 301.299.1996
        fax: 301.299.4425
        http://www.innobriefs.com

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[...]

        . . .

        The real test, says CEI, is for all those participating in today's
        experiment to make it as real-world as possible. The group suggests
        that participants make their car-free trips today come rain or shine,
        carrying several bags of groceries, toting a baby if they have one,
        and to be sure to include a nighttime trip. This is, after all, how
        the world's love affair with the automobile began.

        The New Mobility Agenda is permanently at http://NewMobility.org
        To post messages to list: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com
        Run into a problem? Try postmaster@... for help.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Eric Bruun
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
          In the US, it is not only Manhattanites who don't own cars. I live in West
          Philadelphia and I ride my bicycle rain or shine, and I carry two bags of
          groceries on the handlebars to boot. By the way, there is a huge percentage
          of people here who don't drive regularly.

          As for the cliche about the love affair with the car, it would be more
          accurate to say that for many millions of people it is a shotgun marriage.

          I would also like the CEI to explain why it has gotten so expensive to live
          in the central areas of most of the cities that have fairly good transit
          (like NYC, Washington and Boston). The transit dependent, ironically, can no
          longer afford to live near good transit. They are being pushed out to the
          car-dependent suburbs.

          Eric