Re: [NewMobilityCafe] [World Streets] World Carshare: Lateral thinking anyone?

  • Richard Layman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2009
      Well, in North America, which is dominated by the car, you're getting people thinking about downsizing maybe, thinking about maintaining access to the car, without owning one.

      I don't know Europe well enough.  You have plenty of car owners, maybe it's a similar thought.

      In Asia, maybe as far as car usage goes they could take a lesson from the thinking of Alexander Gerschenkron.  His seminal paper "Economic Advantages of Backwardness," made the point that newly industrializing nations had the advantage of being able to adopt the latest technology, because they weren't concerned about maintaining the value of decades of previous investment.

      "Car-dom" doesn't work for cities.  But cities don't have the means to do the same kinds of great advertising campaigns that car companies do.

      In a Gerschenkronian fashion, maybe cities in Asia could push carsharing alternatives as opposed to strong encouragement of car ownership (although recognize in China that many of the state governments have significant investment in the automobile industry, and see automobile manufacturing as an important component of state and national industrial policy).

      It would require figuring out "tranches" of typical types of trips and being able to shift the paradigm to a carsharing scenario.

      Thinking in China today (i.e.  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/business/worldbusiness/24firstcar.html?pagewanted=print from the NYT ) isn't like that in Japan, albeit which is in a far different stage of development of its industrial and consumer economy (i.e., http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2009/06/17/are-car-buying-attitudes-changing/ ).

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2009
        Thanks Eric ...!

        I notice Brisbane is not "on the map" then it refused parking spaces for "carshare" vehicles and it is spending billions on more roads, tunnels and bridges ... and vast urban sprawl.

        I  am not familiar with the Gerschenkron reference Richard mentions but one "obvious" benefit of "backwardness" (surely there is a better term?) is the opportunity to not make the same mistakes, to learn from others experiences, or put another way, to not go down the same road ...!

        I was last in Beijing in 1992 and with language guidance, found it easy to move around without a car ... ditto Amsterdam where a bike or tram always seemed to be sufficient ... and Paris and London ... indeed in each of these, walking is also an option ... or it was.

        I have watched the use of prioritising buses INSTEAD of prioritising cars on existing road space in Curitiba then others in South America and the spread of light rail.

        I wish ... indeed also hope ... the consumer-driven market is no longer the ideal goal but it isn't easy to see why "they" should not do what we have done especially if "we" refuse to make any significant reduction in our ab/use of the resources.

        But then, while I can see John Wayne on a horse, can you see him cycling to the studios in LA or to some set for a Western?

        Michael Yeates
        Brisbane

        At 11:32 PM 11/07/2009, Richard Layman wrote:

[...]

        []

        --
        Posted By Eric Britton to World Streets at 7/11/2009 12:59:00 PM