[@ccess] Re: [sustran] Negative thoughts on metro in general (and on from there)

  • Eric Bruun
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
      Eric Britton, et.al:

      It seems pretty paradoxical to me that as the world supposedly gets
      wealthier, and cities get larger, that the justification for Metros
      gets more difficult? What would you suggest for Athens if the decision
      to invest was being made today if not a metro? Eric Bruun
    • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000
        Eric Bruun writes on this date: "It seems pretty paradoxical to me that as
        the world supposedly gets wealthier, and cities get larger, that the
        justification for Metros gets more difficult? What would you suggest for
        Athens if the decision to invest was being made today if not a metro? Eric
        Bruun "

        Excellent question. I have some slight advantage with this city choice
        having lived and worked there on two occasions for several moths at each
        time. Thanks for asking, Eric. So here's what I'd do. Step by step:

        1. Ask by way of reminder to have in front of us the best estimates of costs
        of the metro project as planned, with of course additional estimates for
        externalities, including the cost to commerce, traffic, etc., of the
        disruptions created by and during the process of construction.

        2. That will yield a number... whatever it is, along with, hopefully, a very
        brief summary of who is going to pay for what and when.

        3. I then will ask for a brief point to point resume (say on 1-3 pages) of
        what are the exact targeted benefits, to whom, when, etc.

        4. I then would put these numbers and short documents before this august
        group for a first set of ideas, reactions, and comments
        .
        5. Then I will move to Athens.

        6. In parallel I will start to work with the budget which I have requested
        and been given - exactly 5% of the estimated total cost (incidentally less
        than the annual interest otherwise paid on the total bill) - and will go to
        work to achieve a substantial proportion of the objectives within the next
        two years (so as to be in time for the Olympics with our new transportation
        infrastructure), along with a whole bunch of objectives and programs of my
        own.

        7. One of my first steps will be to organize a REAL Car Free Day (not to be
        confused with the laconic variants that one sees in some places.. see
        http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/ for more on that) - which will not only
        give ma lot of my policy and investment targets, but which will also give me
        the overwhelming political base I shall need in order to get done what we
        need to do.

        8. I'll put up traffic cams all over the place (say a couple of hundred)
        linked to the Web.

        9. All of this will be posted on the world's best bilingual Web site with
        all details, proposals, progress, etc. available for public information,
        discussion, and international expert comment and feedback.

        10. We'd then also develop the world's best All-Mode Advanced Passenger
        Information System (see our first rough attempt ins Bilbao on this at
        http://www.transbilbao.net)

        Two years later, you'd see world level results and probably 80% of the
        Athenians would want me to run for mayor. Or maybe get the Elgin (or
        Parthenon, to give them their rightful name) Marbles back.

        Or should we just give the money to Bechtel and all go on vacation?

        With all good wishes,

        Eric Britton

        ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
        Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
        Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
        Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
        Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)