[World Streets] "Pedaling Revolution" - Book review from today's Internationa...

  • The Editor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2009
      [http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/books/review/Byrne-t.html?scp=4&sq=david%20byrne&st=cse]
      Today's International Herald Tribune carries a book review of "Pedaling Revolution; How Cyclists are Changing American Cities, by Jeff Mapes. I firmly doubt that any of our regular readers are going to learn a great deal from the book as described here. But it is perhaps useful for us to get some understanding of what is going on in the States -- in people's minds as well on the city streets -- as the process that interests us here begins to kick in.

      For a first paragraph of the review and the link to the full text, read on:

      Full disclosure: I’ve ridden a bike around New York as my principal means of transport for 30 years, so I’m inclined to sympathize with the idea that a cycling revolution is upon us, and that it’s a good thing. Like Jeff Mapes, the author of “Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities,” I’ve watched the streets fill over the years with more and varied bike riders. It’s no longer just me, some food delivery guys and a posse of reckless messengers. Far from it.

      * For remainder of article, click here.

      --
      Posted By The Editor to World Streets at 6/02/2009 07:10:00 PM