[@ccess] Negative thoughts on metro in general (and on from there)

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2000
      Dear Colleagues,

      In 1972 or thereabouts a referendum was held in Zurich in an attempt to get
      public confirmation for a planned new metro project there. The expert
      proposal, despite strong political backing, was not approved by the
      electorate, with results that we all now know.

      My question to you this morning is this: Can anyone out there point us to
      some links or email us some materials that tell this interesting story.
      Truth is, I received a Ford Foundation grant back then to look at a trio of
      failed transportation initiatives (the others were the Third London Airport
      and the proposed Voie Express Rive Gauche here in Paris) and wrote up a
      pretty good report on it, but in my cosmic disorganization I can find no
      trace of all our hard work.

      Kind thanks if you come up with anything on this.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
      Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
      Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
      Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)
    • Eric Bruun
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2000
        Eric Britton, et.al:

        It seems pretty paradoxical to me that as the world supposedly gets
        wealthier, and cities get larger, that the justification for Metros
        gets more difficult? What would you suggest for Athens if the decision
        to invest was being made today if not a metro? Eric Bruun
      • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000
          Eric Bruun writes on this date: "It seems pretty paradoxical to me that as
          the world supposedly gets wealthier, and cities get larger, that the
          justification for Metros gets more difficult? What would you suggest for
          Athens if the decision to invest was being made today if not a metro? Eric
          Bruun "

          Excellent question. I have some slight advantage with this city choice
          having lived and worked there on two occasions for several moths at each
          time. Thanks for asking, Eric. So here's what I'd do. Step by step:

          1. Ask by way of reminder to have in front of us the best estimates of costs
          of the metro project as planned, with of course additional estimates for
          externalities, including the cost to commerce, traffic, etc., of the
          disruptions created by and during the process of construction.

          2. That will yield a number... whatever it is, along with, hopefully, a very
          brief summary of who is going to pay for what and when.

          3. I then will ask for a brief point to point resume (say on 1-3 pages) of
          what are the exact targeted benefits, to whom, when, etc.

          4. I then would put these numbers and short documents before this august
          group for a first set of ideas, reactions, and comments
          .
          5. Then I will move to Athens.

          6. In parallel I will start to work with the budget which I have requested
          and been given - exactly 5% of the estimated total cost (incidentally less
          than the annual interest otherwise paid on the total bill) - and will go to
          work to achieve a substantial proportion of the objectives within the next
          two years (so as to be in time for the Olympics with our new transportation
          infrastructure), along with a whole bunch of objectives and programs of my
          own.

          7. One of my first steps will be to organize a REAL Car Free Day (not to be
          confused with the laconic variants that one sees in some places.. see
          http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/ for more on that) - which will not only
          give ma lot of my policy and investment targets, but which will also give me
          the overwhelming political base I shall need in order to get done what we
          need to do.

          8. I'll put up traffic cams all over the place (say a couple of hundred)
          linked to the Web.

          9. All of this will be posted on the world's best bilingual Web site with
          all details, proposals, progress, etc. available for public information,
          discussion, and international expert comment and feedback.

          10. We'd then also develop the world's best All-Mode Advanced Passenger
          Information System (see our first rough attempt ins Bilbao on this at
          http://www.transbilbao.net)

          Two years later, you'd see world level results and probably 80% of the
          Athenians would want me to run for mayor. Or maybe get the Elgin (or
          Parthenon, to give them their rightful name) Marbles back.

          Or should we just give the money to Bechtel and all go on vacation?