"Seven Sustainable Mayors": Profiles of Courage

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      Friday, July 02, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      We have decided to work up a set of "Profiles of Courage", brief but
      sharp reminders of how a handful of hard-headed, far sighted mayors in
      (this list is in progress) Brazil, Britain, Colombia, Canada, France,
      Germany, and yes even the United States of America, have managed to turn
      around vital transport elements of their city and get them off the old
      path and onto that of a sustainable system (bit by bit). We hope to be
      able to share these with you before the end of the summer.

      Do you have candidates (let’s note that we have not yet identified
      anyone from Asia or Africa in this lot)? Do you have information on any
      of these mayors that should be integrated into the profiles? Let us
      know.

      Several of these cases are well known to all of you here – for example
      the stories of Jaime Lerner and Enrique Peñalosa – but others are less
      known. And in any event I think that what will be important about this
      little collection is that by putting them next to each other and
      searching out the communalities and lessons in terms specifically of
      what is needed to break the old patterns, we will be able to help show
      the way for others. After all, there have to be some mayors out there
      who are ready to go and who may need just this nudge to greatness.

      I would intend to post these, possibly one by one on the site over the
      two months ahead so that you will have an opportunity to comment, which
      comments we shall of course take into fullest consideration.

      Note: Is there anyone out there who would like to take on this task for
      us? Either the whole thing or individual profiles that I could then try
      to whip into shape so that the whole lot reads as of a piece. I think
      it’s a important and timely challenge, and all offers of help will be
      gratefully received.

      Eric Britton

      PS. This could very nicely be sponsored by some international
      organization of local government, mayors or what have you. Or a
      foundation or anyone else who thinks this could be important and worth
      doing. The only condition, in addition to our being pleased to take
      their money and have a high profile public rostrum to get the news out,
      is that they cannot in any way influence the work in progress or final
      product. ;-)