RE: [NewMobilityCafe] Transport fatalities

  • Noel Hodson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
      Dear Eric & colleagues,

      The  fatalities chart from Prof Dinesh Mohan is intriguing. I started to deconstruct it (see EXCEL attached) but have run out of time. However the first two lowest categories of deaths per million show no immediate common causes between countries so I have listed some of the factors  (below) which need to be taken into consideration. Send me three month's research funds - and I'll tackle the job and make a report.

      Noel

      Reasons to consider

      Slow Vehicles - e.g. Donkey carts etc

      Demographic - age groups travelling

      Mobility - Population travelling on any-one-day

      Peak Hours - School and commuter traffic congestion

      Laws - speed limits etc

      Culture & Education - Care about "society". Children warned etc.

      Attitude to Risk - e.g US gun deaths, Macho culture etc

      Health - general fitness of travelling public (likely to die in transit)

      Health Care and Accident Care - emergency services saving lives

      Road, Rail, Air etc Infrastructure - investment into safety

      Who drives - male and female drivers ratio.

      Noel Hodson
      SW2000 Telework Studies
      Experts Unlimited - Professional Advice Lines
      14 Brookside OXFORD OX3 7PJ UK
      Tel +44(0)1865-760994 Fax 769384
      Email: noelhodson@... <mailto:noelhodson@...
      http://www.noelhodson.com

      Due to Spam, I auto-delete emails with blank or strange SUBJECT lines. Please complete the SUBJECT box sensibly.