RE: [NewMobilityCafe] Support for car industry

  • Michael Yeates
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2008
      Indeed ... the problem(s) seem to be identifying the need for change and getting the change BEFORE the catastrophic failure makes 'band-aid' solutions politically inevitable as little or no accepted alternatives have been widely assessed.

      This would seem to be due to the persuasive power of wealth based on personal consumption without counting the costs aka capitalism?

      It seems it is that cornucopia or catastrophe problem that was identified back in the late 1980s or early 1990s ... and for those not aware, put those two words in GOOGLE and see what you get --- one answer is a book worth reading even now.

      Michael Yeates................

      At 02:12 AM 30/10/2008, you wrote:

      Hard to disagree with Richard’s point.. but we’re seeing the same thing in the financial rescue – rather than change model, we’re just

      Pouring in money to patch it up. And in housing, rather than recognizing that too many Americans live in single family dwellings they and we cannot afford

      (propelled by deductions of mortgage interest from income, etc) we’re desperately trying to FIGHT the market adjustment that has both

      Inflated housing values and sucked too much capital into housing that could have gone into making a cleaner country.

      So Richard’s point stands – don’t try to patch up a failed business model built in large part on externalizing the costs of individual cars,  switch

      The system to one where everyone pays his/her own way.

      Lee Schipper, Ph.D

      Project Scientist

      Global Metropolitan Studies

      2614 Dwight Way 2nd floor
      University of California Berkeley

      CA 94720-1782 USA

      TEL +1 510 642 6889

      FAX +1 510 642 6061
      CELL +1 202 262 7476

      skype: mrmeter

      http://metrostudies.berkeley.edu/

      Senior Research Engineer

      Precourt Institute for Energy Efficiency

      Stanford University

      Senior Analyst Emeritus

      EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Sustainable Transport

      From: Morten@... <Morten@...>
      Subject: [NewMobilityCafe] Support for car industry
      To: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 10:10 AM

      Morten Lange [ mailto:morten7an@ yahoo.com]

      Hi,

      I'd say that is the wrong question.  We can ask till we get blue and black in the face to little or no avail.  What about pointing to :
      - The great costs (externalities)  that cars incur ?
      - Best practices / examples of taxing, that works
      - Examples of traffic evaporation etc thsat work
      - UNCED 7 Rio 1992 principle of polluter pays

      What other good sources are out there in the same vein as "The real cost of gasoline"  (google it) ?

      I do agree with the Esperanto Swede ( Matrin Strid), though, that increasing taxes at this particular moment might be very difficult.
      But what about positive measures ?  Like Transport planning, giving incentives to those that travel to work and during the working day by other means than in private / company cars  ?

      And pointing to the multiple benefits of alternative transport  not least for personal / family finances should get lots more goodwil in newspapers etc now, if we are willing to write in.

      Best Regards,
      Morten