Re: Eating transportation

  • Gladwyn d'Souza
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2008
      The first Air District Board was formed in CA 50 years ago when the
      Valley of Hearts (now called Silicon Valley) went to Sacramento to
      complain about air pollution stunting the growth of flowers and fruit.

      This years rice crop was delayed because of the smoke from our early
      season. Fires were worsened because "loss of life" from people living
      in wilderness, is a priority for fire departments to react to, rather
      than large tracts of burning forests. Recently instead of addressing
      he pollution from large roads the legislature passed a ban on school
      construction within 500' of a major road because the damage to
      children's lungs is permanent. Prior schools, built within this zone,
      were thus grandfathered into stunted lungs.

      Congestion Fees need to also address the full costs of roads in food
      shed disruption and agricultural land loss. For example Half Moon Bay
      is over the hill 25 km away from the center of San Mateo between San
      Francisco and San Jose. But no fish is sold in the region from HMB
      because the distributors will not allow restaurants or grocery stores
      to choose 'locally caught' or 'sustainable'. Shelves are filled with
      "customer choice" of Alaskan Salmon, Chilean Sea Bass, Vietnamese
      shrimp, Chinese tilapia etc. Water access, farmworker housing, and
      traffic fatalities are large issues in the ag communities. The recent
      ag fight in India over Tata Motors Nano factory seems to say these
      issues are not unique to CA.

      Gladwyn

      --- In NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Britton"
      <eric.britton@...> wrote:

      > Normally I try very hard to keep these posts within the fairly strictly
      > defined domain of each of our twenty or so fora (The Commons,
      carsharing,
      > bike sharing, LotsLessCars, value capture, the Journal, etc.). Which
      would
      > suggest that this one which has come to us with the kind help of Lee
      > Schipper, would normally end up in the World Transport Policy and
      Practice

      <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html?pagewanted=1&ref