Sharon Flesher on rural carshare - The challenge to New Mobility

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
      Thursday, June 03, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

      Dear Sharon Flesher,

      I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart and in the name of the group for that fine commentary on rural carshare and synopsis on your experience with the Traverse City carsharing operation over the last several years. I usually abstain from sharing such comments with the group as a whole, but in this case I think that we all owe you our thanks. And perhaps there is something that we can do as a group to build on this experience.

      It's strange of an experience such as yours involving several years of hard work, high hopes and commitment to the basic values of community and sustainability that we here all appreciate deeply, can be summarized in a few words. It seems so little. But since a good number of our group know what it is to work diligently and more often than not in the face of indifference, I think that we above all can fully appreciate what you have accomplished.

      The next question is how to build on this experience, so that it just confined to a few words and memories. And here I would like to ask the group and its many extensions to scratch their collective heads and see if they/we can turn up a couple of leads or ideas that we might now pursue. At the very least, I would like to see if we can get some concerned public agency or foundation - perhaps in Michigan maybe but quite possibly elsewhere -- to step in and at the very least fund a careful analytic 'post mortem' that can both provide us with a complete appreciation of your accomplishments and, critical here, of the lessons that have been learned that should be shared with others in the States and elsewhere.

      With oil at $42 a barrel and surging, there should be some hard thinking going on now in the right places about how we go about creating a set of new structures and daily life arrangements that guarantee not only our well being ands quality of life, but also the future for our children ('our' of course being the children of the world). In all this, we have seen over these last years that carsharing decently implemented has an important role. So, since we have this opportunity, now is a good time to see if we can put it to work for a good cause.

      So our collective thanks to you dear Sharon and your colleagues up there in Traverse, and who knows? maybe all that hard work will serve some important purposes which even you did not have in mind the day you said, "Hey, why don't we . . .".

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
        I am sure we can find somebody who will write a case study of it here at UC
        if Sharon has the time to fill us in on the details.

        My own view is that this is something we need to bring to our publid
        officials. I haven't seen the cost figures but I know that we spend a lot
        on rural transit in many states, and this may be both more effective and
        less expensive.

        Betty Deakin

        Prof. Elizabeth Deakin
        Director,UC Transportation Research Center
        Berkeley

> [...]

        200,000 people. It makes sense that these population centers are the
        current target for car sharing operations, but the other 42% are doing more
        than their share of driving and polluting, so any effort to spread car
        sharing beyond the metropolitan areas is a good thing.

        Cooperation could make a big difference. If you could join with other CSOs
        to obtain insurance, purchase vehicles, operate billing and reservation
        systems, etc., it might make an operation less daunting for an individual
        CSO. If starting a CSO were as easy as opening a Burger King, we might see
        the former proliferate almost as much as the latter. Without cooperation,
        we never could have started; we owed our existence to Dave Brook and
        CarSharing Portland! If some sort of cooperative network had been in
        existence, we probably could have kept our CSO going through a local

        The New Mobility Agenda is permanently at http://NewMobility.org
        To post messages to list: NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .