Project IT rethinking transport into a sustainable form and process.

  • geoschrader
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      There seems to be little about today's transport which is sustainable.
      My study of alternative transport system designs suggest that
      transport need not be what it is today. That transport could of been
      carried out long ago in both a form and process that is greatly more
      enhanced and sustainable.

      My private research suggests that transport can be visionaly
      accomplished with out the bulk of its current social, economic,
      environmental, and ecological problems.

      " Visionaly Accomplished " means: Lucratively profitable, with
      largely enhanced speeds, convenience, and ease of use abilities.
      Ending petroleum dependency, vehicle emissions, accidents, and even
      congestion. With out any relative energy or resource consumption.
      While too respecting the reliability and continuity of ecological and
      environmental systems.

      I am very interested in discussing this opportunity for rethinking
      and changing transport into a truly sustainable form and process.

      As doing so and accomplishing IT suggests the ability to greatly
      speed humanities achievement of a global sustainable society.

      No other effort can compare to IT's ability to bring the greatest
      level of well-being, to the largest number of people and in the very
      shortest period of time.

      Project IT.
    • Franz Nahrada
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        "geoschrader" <scurader@...> writes:
        >There seems to be little about today's transport which is sustainable.
        >My private research suggests that transport can be visionaly
        >accomplished with out the bulk of its current social, economic,
        >environmental, and ecological problems.
        >I am very interested in discussing this opportunity for rethinking
        >and changing transport into a truly sustainable form and process.

        Maybe a key to this goal would be the intentional opensourcing of ideas.

        We had an interesting discussion in another list that I would like to
        bring to the attention of the people a who are gathered here. The starting
        point was the following article in Red Herring, which is nothing more than
        a vague announcement. But it contains a fresh new idea:

> [...]
        >>
        >>Traffic in Silicon Valley is terrible. Not surprising: according to a
        >>recent San Jose Mercury News column, there are now 4.5 million cars in
        >>the Bay Area, logging 167 million miles every day — over 5 billion miles
        >>a year. Cars pollute the environment, adversely affect our quality of
        >>life, and make the Bay Area less attractive and productive. So why don't
        >>we have more public transportation? The existing light rail system isn't
        >>very heavily used, and recent projections suggest that ridership on the
        >>area’s Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) train will go down in coming
        >decades.
        >>
        >>The Bay Area is a patchwork of small governments, which adds complexity
        >>to any big infrastructure project. A bottom-up approach doesn't work
        >>well for mass transit systems, which have to be carefully knit together
        >>to attract riders. And for better or worse, today's voters aren't very
        >>enthusiastic about large public spending projects, and California isn't
        >>exactly flush with cash.
        >>
        >>Further, the changes required to turn the Bay Area into a place where
        >>large-scale public transportation would really work shouldn't be
        >>underestimated. Proponents of public transportation argue that the
        >>region's high cost of living would be lowered if we could build
        >>high-density housing served by light-rail trains that would make cars
        >>unnecessary. Essentially, we'd have to transform the Valley from a
        >>sprawl of suburbs and towns into something more like Manhattan or Tokyo
        >>— a sprawl of cities.
        >>
        >>And, frankly, most people like cars better than public transportation.
        >>They like the convenience of being able to go exactly from Point A to
        >>Point B, exactly when they want. There are some other experiments in
        >>reducing traffic and the need for car ownership. There are vanpools,
        >>shuttles that run between train stations and corporate parks, and
        >>car-sharing services. These have loyal users — I rode in a vanpool
        >>between Berkeley and Davis (one hour away) for several years — but
        >>they're not widely popular. Many of the freeways have carpool lanes, but
        >>as anyone who drives during rush hour knows, the existence of these
        >>lanes hasn't generated much of a carpooling movement. (When you realize
        >>that there are 4.5 million cars and 6.5 million people in the Bay Area,
        >>the lack of traffic in the carpool lanes makes more sense.)
        >>
        >>It seems an intractable problem. In a region that is not as densely
        >>built up as a real city, in which it's hard to live without a car,
        >>public transportation is always going to be less attractive than
        >>privately-owned transportation. But there's a possible solution, and it
        >>comes from an unlikely place: the open source movement. Maybe the answer
        >>is to tweak the rules of ownership, to create a system that hooks up
        >>drivers and passengers in real time, and creates incentives to share the
        >>road. Maybe the answer is to create a public transportation system out

        Of course, in that list there are some enlightened people who immediately
        responded like this

        >Hrmmmm,
        >
        >There's already an implementation of this... (Well - one way of doing it
        >I guess) I'm a bit surprised this is not mentioned in the article...
        >http://www.citycarshare.org/
        >I have no idea if this is being used or liked... Perhaps someone in the
        >bay area has experience with this?
        >This model does nothing to eliminate the per-person ecological cost so
        >I'm not too impressed with it.

        So I responded

        I agree. But I could imagine this as an entry door to promote open source
        solutions which do better. Would be interesting to confront red herrings
        with such ideas.

        At the Viennese Oekonux Conference, on the very first evening in a german
        round there was a discussion if opensourcing would lead to similar or
        different products than we have now with all their flaws and nonsense.

        There was a group of interested people around the magazine "Streifzuege"
        who warned us that opensourcing might not be enough.

        I disagreed, saying that this would be a very decisive step. I quoted a
        tiny and seemingly insignificant example. When German Open Source Car
        project maintainer Marcus Merz was working on his project we had several
        phone conversations. "Guess what", he told me one day . "I had just a
        call from a woman from Frankfurt or so. She told me
        she had read about us designing an open source car".

        "Do you take also the inputs from pedestrians?" she had asked. Yes we do,
        Marcus replied. So she said: "I wonder if you could think of putting stop
        lights not only in the rear of the car, but also in front. You know its
        very good for a driver to know the car in front of him stops. But
        pedestrians approached by a car never know exactly."

        I think that gives a hint. Opensourcing transportation will not end with
        carsharing. Its a pool that includes better use of existing resources but
        also ends up changing the products and eventually much more. It ends up
        changing our social relations.

        We are talking heavily about the issue in the moment here in Vienna.
        Eurosolar people are very interested in Open Source concepts, but they
        also came up with an interesting challenge. They said: we will seriously
        discuss opensource concepts when you place a plug for an electric vehicle
        outside your house or at a publicly accesible place. It does not cóst you
        a fortune when you help them to load up batteries for free, but you help
        cocreating infrastructure. We want a dense network of places where
        electric cars can load up so their limited action radius is not a problem
        any more.

        The more I think about this request, the more logical it is. Maybe
        opensourcing the automomile world would take a lot of such small steps
        that lead to a possitive cycle of trigger and feedback?

        Franz Nahrada, Vienna
      • edeakin@ix.netcom.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
          I am with you. Please send articles.

          Elizabeth Deakin
          Director, UC Transportation Research Center
          108 Naval Architecture Bldg.
          University of California
          Berkeley CA 94720-1782