Brisbane bus lane

    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2004
      said specifically that I have no knowledge of Brisbane.

      However, a bus every 5 minutes is very frequent by UK standards in most urban
      areas and if whatever frequency Karl had in mind for a threshold was adopted
      then we would have hardly any bus lanes. For example, one of the major radial
      routes into Cambridge has a park & ride bus every 10 minutes, a local city bus
      at the same frequency, and a few country buses (3 per hour) -- only a little
      more than the Brisbane route. And, yes, it has aroused complaints among
      motorists. But last time I used it -- on a Saturday afternoon (i.e. not at a
      peak time) -- I did indeed see cars stuck in the non-bus lane, and even the bus
      I was on was delayed 3 minutes by the volume of traffic. I hate to think how
      much it would have been delayed in a free for all (delaying in turn the next
      outward journey on the relevant service).

      Who said that there was no demand for bus travel on that street ? Maybe if the
      bus service was improved to Karl's threshold people might start to use it -- in
      particular the motorists who would see it as an alternative to getting stuck on
      the non-bus lane, which would therefore have knock-on effects on traffic levels
      in the rest of the city.

      Simon Norton
    • Karl Fjellstrom
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2004