"Classic bus lane backslide",

  • Sujit Patwardhan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2004

      Dear Karl,

      Thank you for your message and I'm sorry for the strong language.

      It is our experience that car dominated planning has caused a lot of damage
      to the natural and built environment of many cities. Much of this damage is
      irreversible -- but it is still fashionable to build six lane highways,
      flyovers, multistory parking lots, and a never-ending network of roads that
      encourage even further growth in the number of private vehicle in the city.
      This is why I believe that any initiative in favour of the Public Transport
      needs to be supported.

      I'm not familiar with the situation in Brisbane but if there was a very low
      flow of buses in this route surely it would make more sense to increase the
      flow than to rip out the bus-lane sign boards (like war trophies in the
      hands of the victorious army) and throw open the lane to private vehicles.

      Do correct me if I'm wrong, but wherever public transit has succeeded,
      there has always been the stick (to discourage private vehicle movement)
      and the carrot (to offer sops to those opting for public transport
      buses/trains). Because left to themselves, human beings rarely do things
      that are in the best interest of the community.

      From what you say it appears that in view of the very low demand (for
      buses) it was best to remove the bus lane on that road. Does that mean
      there is very low travel demand (overall) or only for the buses? If it is
      low overall, ripping out the bus lane sign was surely quite unnecessary. If
      it is low only for the buses (and quite high for private cars) surely there
      is room to invent some innovative carrots to tempt people to shift from
      personal to pubic mode of transport. (Because I believe public transit
      makes lesser demands on energy, fuel, road space and emits less pollution
      per person, is more equitable and just to the whole spectrum of population,
      and also more friendly to other modes like walking and cycling). If you
      think I'm wrong I would be happy if you enlighten me.
      With kind regards,
      --
      Sujit

      Sujit Patwardhan