mayor of Helsinki, Finland, wants to attract more cars to the centre

  • Silfverberg Leena [mailto:leena.silfverbe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007

      From: Silfverberg Leena [mailto:leena.silfverberg@...]
      Sent: Monday, 19 November 2007 09:10

      Dear Eric, Mari and Lee,

      Our mayor Jussi Pajunen really has generated a lively discussion about urban mobility: Along to Helsingin Sanomat newspaper's gallup, majority (60 %) of people think that cars do not belong to the city at all, even the most conservative taxi drivers say that they want to have congestion charges to decrease the amount of cars etc.

      Pajunen's opinion about car drivers spending conciderable sums of money comes from the viewpoint of the city's greatest department store Stockmann. More extensive research shows, that the share of money flow is similar to the modal split: public transport passengers are the most important customers also because they visit various shops whereas car drivers only make their purchases in one store - Stockmann offers free parking for big purchases, which makes the cash receipts show cars even more significance. All in all, this is not a matter of logical reasoning but attitude.

      Anyway, he cannot make the decisions himself. A couple of weeks ago, a new deputy Mayor was elected for Helsinki. He is Mr. Hannu Penttilä, who now works as head of the Helsinki Metropolitan Council (responsible e.g. for public transport). I saw him in TV answering the question about his visions to improve the city: "At least I can promise, that after one year it will be much easier to ride a bike in the city centre!"

      I want to thank you for concerning about Helsinki - - - and once again wish the best luck for Hannu!

      Leena

      Leena Silfverberg

      Ministry of the Environment Finland

      PO Box 35, FIN-00023 Government