Kindly read carefully. Thank you

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      Kindly read carefully. Thank you

      A quick two part message.  Kind thanks for giving it your attention:

      1,      New Mobility Café:
      We are presently at the risk of over-running this Discussion Forum WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com with correspondence and exchanges, interesting though these always are and I do not exaggerate.  What happens when we lose focus is that we lose members like flies.  So I would like to remind all here that this particular bit of our tool kit is intended as a low-volume, moderated site and mainly for announcements and key news for all of the hundreds of busy people who have come together here.

      ·       Welcome to our New Mobility Café -- the wide-open informal discussion area of the New Mobility Agenda. It offers a free, public, flexible repository discussion space for people and groups who feel that our transport systems need to be, and can be made to be, more sustainable and more just -- and who wish to freely exchange ideas and information about it. The core of the information and tool content behind this discussion area will be found on the main New Mobility program site, which also offers a moderated @forum primarily used for announcements and news. By contrast, this space here provides a comfortable place for freer and more open exchanges for those who wish to participate. Drink up while it's hot.

      ·       Thus once a topic has come up for discussion and batting around, after the first announcement it would be much appreciated if we would shift over to the Café to continue our exchanges.  To send your messages, the address is NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com.

      ·       Post message:    NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com
      ·       Subscribe:      NewMobilityCafe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Hint: You have four choices about mail receipt when you check in.  (You may also wish to apply them to the main @Forum.)

      ·       Individual emails.  Send individual email messages.
      ·       Daily digest.        Send all emails in one message.
      ·       Special notices.  Only send me important update emails from the group moderator.
      ·       No email.            Don't send me email, I'll read the messages at the Web site.

      2.      News Alert: - First-ever Sustainability Commissioner named in Sydney
      We have been telling you about how handy the New Moblity World News section of our site is (once again, you can click to it on the top menu and receive the latest news on our topics in no less than six languages) . Well if you checked it out today, you would have noticed that one of our find colleagues has moved right into the middle of the sustainable policy arena in Australia Check out the article Strategist hired to put sense in sprawl which announces that in Australia Professor Peter Newman has just been named to a three-year tenure with the NSW Government as the state's first Sustainability Commissioner to help drive Sydney's metropolitan strategy.  The full article is also at http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/22/1082616267057.html

      Congratulations Peter and may we see many more like that.  (And be sure that we will be keeping a close, interested eye on you and Sydney.)

      Eric Britton

      PS. A few guidelines to keep in mind as you use the Forum:

      ·       Proof-read your submissions.  The time you take is magnified 300-fold in time savings by readers in trying to understand your points.

      ·       Don't send very long messages, papers, or binary files to the list; rather, post a summary in straight text, offering to send to those requesting it the longer or coded document.  Such requests should always be OFF-LIST (to the personal offering it, not the whole list). Another popular alternative is to point people to a website with your material.

      ·       If you feel yourself getting heated about what another has written, consider sending that to only that person, not the entire list.  This keeps the recipient from feeling as defensive and possibly escalating the exchange into a conflagration.

      ·       When referring to research or statements, try to cite them, either a bibliographic or web reference.
      ·       In a reply, don't include the entire contents of the other's message, only the part you are commenting on.  If your point is more general, consider only restating in summary point the comments of another (be careful to be accurate and not self-serving).  Also, make sure you are replying to the correct party, the whole list (probably what your mail program will assume when you hit the "reply" button), or to the individual, which will require you to clip the sender's e-mail address before hitting "reply" and then pasting it in over the forums address before starting to compose your reply.  Remember, there is no feeling so "sinking" as when a personal message goes instead to 300 people.

      ·       After joining, don't post for a couple weeks, so that you can get a sense of the style of the list.  Your first post might contain a short (one para.) introduction of yourself, but this is not required (when lists first start, introductions are the best way to get things started).

      ·       When passing on something from your word processor, please avoid the straight cut-and-paste approach, as you will bring non-standard characters and spacing with it, especially lines that are too long.  Rather, change to courier 12-pitch type and then save it to ASCII format (*.txt), closing it, and then using the Notebook editor to bring it onto your screen again.  Quickly proofread it for format, and then cut-and-paste it to your mail-program screen.