Bicycles are not a form of transportation

  • On Behalf Of ericbruun@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2007
      Walter

      I doubt that laws prohibiting money to be spent on new construction until
      everything existing is up to standard would work. First, standards would be
      downgraded to allow them to be built. (This trick is already being used, the
      Minnesota bridge was judged borderline acceptable for years). Second, money
      is fungible, so that other money would be used for new construction instead,
      money that could otherwise go to transit, water supplies, schools, etc.
      (This trick is already being used, too.)

      Although it is almost impossible to get through Congress, a better solution
      would be to give federal funds to Metropolitan Planning Associations instead
      of to State governments.

      Eric Bruun

      From: Walter Hook <whook@...>
      Date: 2007/09/17 Mon PM 02:17:04 CDT
      Subject: [sustran] Re: Fw: Bicycles are not a form of transportation

      This is an oversimplification of a complex debate on the hill. The stupid
      comment about bike paths not withstanding, I am glad she is criticizing
      earmarks, most of which are road pork. She has been pushing for more
      tolling and supportive of congestion charging, (fed support is key to our
      chances for nyc congestion charges, and democratic pork politicians like
      Oberstar and road lobby stalwarts like highway and transit subcommiteee
      chair democrat de fazio of Oregon tried to kill it. Oberstar is great on
      money for bike lanes but also presided over massive highway pork spending.

      To me the solution is a fix it first law modeled in new jersey that would
      restrict federal funding for new roads and bridges till the existing ones
      are all in a state of good repair.