Public Transport Accessibility Levels - Application outside London/UK

  • Steve Abley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2007
      Hello,

      I am applying the UK technique for the application of Public Transport
      Accessibility Levels in New Zealand. PTAL is a technique for measuring
      the accessibility of public transport at a point of interest such as a
      house, school or shop etc.
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Transport_Accessibility_Level)

      The very last step in the application of PTAL is to take a calculated
      score and apply it against a series of bounds, reflective of the
      accessibility of public transport at that point. This is the step where
      the score is converted to a qualitative measure e.g. good, poor, very
      poor etc.

      When I apply London/UK bounds qualitative measures in New Zealand,
      unsurprisingly, the result reflects very low public transport
      performance. I do not think the application of London/UK bounds in the
      New Zealand context are a fair representation of public transport
      performance.

      I am wondering if others have had this same problem when applying the
      PTAL methodology in their own county and am wondering how you overcame
      this problem, or indeed did you just use the UK/London bounds anyway?

      Any help much appreciated.

      Regards...Steve