Reinventing Transport in Cities: Pillar 1- Public transport should be free

  • eric.britton@free.fr
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007

      With all due respect Brendan, and I do very much appreciate those three important points you bring up (see below), I really do believe that the time has come in which we have to set aside just about all of our traditional thinking and practices about how we finance and deliver transport in cities and in the process come up with a whole new game plan.  The Chicago experience, so very typical in many respects, makes it clear above all to me that  we simply cannot afford to tinker any longer with the old models, which clearly are not working by any of a thousand balanced criteria.

      The emerging new model, which many of  us here are trying very hard to help bring out from the woodwork, the so-called New Mobility Agenda, is predicated on an entirely different set of assumptions, one of them being that a whole dynamic range of seamless “non-own-car” services are needed, that these can and will be provided by a much broader spectrum of players than in the old binary mobility model, and that one of these has to be a basic underpinning of available-to-all public services which are in effect a “free” or at the very least a fully seamless public utility.

      And yes of course I am well aware of the abuses that such free services can lead to, and this note will not be the place to elaborate or to defend the basic concept. I might add however that in my view at least the services should not be altogether free, since it is important for many reasons to have full feedback about system use and patronage trends, etc., which means some kind of smart card, and this it seems to me to be fair and good to ask people to pay for.

      The end goal has to be to get the very great majority of private cars out of the city, and in order to achieve that we are going to have to provide “better than car” mobility systems. Hop-on, hop-off  transit is part of this necessary package, an essential  foundation stone for the rest.

      How to pay for it?  How to deliver it? And how do you, how do we assure the necessary rigors of good management?  What other kinds of services are needed to fill out the mobility spectrum, and what do we need to do to  we get them on board?

      These are the kinds of question that we should be asking ourselves. And finding cities and city leaders who want to get involved in making this new model of transport and society.  This has to be a teamwork undertaking

      Eric Britton

      PS. Some of you may wish to check out our in-process Reinventing Transport in Cities site at www.climate.newmobility.org. In addition to the Workpad examples, more will appear there shortly on the on-going Chicago rethink.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
        If our goal is "new mobility", we cannot give a "pass" to transit, either to defend the status quo or suggest that everything would improved if it were free.   We don't want to fall into a kind of thinking I call "transit correctness."

        I was a bit surprised to here the terms "transit-captive" and "transit-choice" uncritically mentioned.  This, of course means those _without_ a car of their own and those _with_ a car of their own.  In reality, it is the car-owner who lacks freedom.  To wit:

        Yeates:

        > ... the car still costs a lot in fixed costs if left in the garage,
        but that is the result of having cheap petrol and high fixed costs, rather than the other way round.

        It is this misbalance between high fixed costs and low variable costs that makes a car-owner work so hard to not leave home without it (and actually fears being further than 50 m from his).  And since car-access is a monopoly for private-ownership rather than sharing, people don't have a choice to own just a "little" car.  We should be thinking about dividing the poipulation into the the "car-captive" and the "car-choice," or between living car-dependent and living car-lite.

        I agree that transit should pay its own way, but only if the car pays its own way as well.  The only way the latter will happen is if we move to a shared-car regime, in which, naturally, the costs are almost all variable, so that each use of the car is to be resisted.  Further, a shared-car regime provides little need for the car-travel that is stimuated by the need to take a car with you in order to have it available if a need arises, since shared cars are available everywhere.

        With the high-tech components carshare organizations naturally add to their cars, it is easy to charge users peak-hour congestion charges, area-congestion charges, and to limit speeding and other congestion-exacerbating behaviour (illegally turning left, blocking drivers behind).  And it will allow for one-way uses and spontaneous ride-sharing (as opposed to the stodgy risesharing for regular commutes) that could allow transfers between rideshare vehicles and transit.  (And, it would provide on-demand car-access to the people who have arrived at the job without a personal car!)

        If that could happen, bus service to the suburbs (residences and business "parks") could be replaced by ridesharing in these types of vehicles.  Such a scenario would mean that transit in the city core would, as Jane Jacobs suggested in her last book, Dark Age Ahead, not need subsidy at all, and the other service would be totally privately provided by carshare organizations (CSOs).

        I am presenting this vision -- and its contributions to walkability -- to WALK21 in Toronto in early October.

        Chris Bradshaw
        Ottawa