Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Velib

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2007
      Eric,

      As our on-the-street reporter, can you tell us the impact of stations on the walking environment?  Are they on sidewalks ('pavements') or sitting in spaces commandeered from prior car-parking use?  Are the returned bikes being parked properly so that the bikes don't 'sprawl' into the paths of passing pedestrians?

      Chris Bradshaw
      jealous in Ottawa
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
        Fair questions.

        1. Almost every station has been taken from street/car space. My own calculation suggests that on the order of 5-6000 parking spaces have been removed. (To be confirmed.)

        2. Bikes have to be returned (slotted in) new their parking spaces, or else your credit card starts to be charged biog time.. Thus, no bikes under feet.

        Eric Britton (now known as CO2 Guy) on the road in LA and with limping computers and connections. &%@%&*$

        --
        With all good wishes,

        Eric Britton

        The Commons: Open Society Sustainability Initiative at www.ecoplan.org
        Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                  75006 Paris, France, Europe

        T: +331 4326 1323
        E: eric.britton@...
        E Back-up: fekbritton@...
        Free call via Skype.com to ericbritton
      • Ron Tan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
          "To all members of CAI, mayor, governor and head of governments,

          Dear Sir,
          As you are fully aware of the recent reports release, by IPCC , Sir Nicholas Stern
          and now Mr.Achim Steiner Chief of UNEP is urging the international community
          "to ever greater action" on tackling climate change.
          60% of ghg emission comes from the transportation sector, and 15% to 30%
          from the shipping industry alone.
          We are inviting cities with heavy traffic ghg pollutions to conduct free 2weeks
          trial to reduce belching  smog from traffics in these cities, without any obligations.
          Any city or mayor/governor interested can contact us for an arrangement to
          run the trial on a range of vehicles of their choice.
          Thank you.
          Regards,
          Ron Tan
          Global Marketing Director,
          0065-9145-9147
          www.infernofuel.com"

          On 8/5/07, Chris Bradshaw <hearth@...> wrote:

          Eric,

          As our on-the-street reporter, can you tell us the impact of stations on the walking environment?  Are they on sidewalks ('pavements') or sitting in spaces commandeered from prior car-parking use?  Are the returned bikes being parked properly so that the bikes don't 'sprawl' into the paths of passing pedestrians?

          Chris Bradshaw
          jealous in Ottawa

        • Jack Rosebro
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
            --- In NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Tan" <combusto@...> wrote:

            > 60% of ghg emission comes from the transportation sector, and 15% to 30%
            > from the shipping industry alone.

            One can obtain many different estimates of GHG production, by sector. This one is quite high
            for transport. What source did you use for the estimate that you quoted, and what specific
            attributes led you to prefer it over other accounts?

            Thanks, Jack
          • Ron Tan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
              Jack,
              90% of movement of human and cargo are by seas.
              Figure from report from IEA and G8 summit.
              Anyway, it is not possible to have a figure right to the last decimal place.
              It also depends on the way it is computed.
              What is more important is how do you prevent a repeat of Katrina,which is happening in South Asia now,
              or another forest fire somewhere.There are too "many debates and talking", and no real actions to curb
              belching emissions.Look at Karachi, Mexico city, Beijing ,Johanesburg and Lagos,Moscow ,Teheran,all these are
              smog polluted.
              What we need is, infernofuel and drop into all the fuel tanks in the World, save average of 10% reduction in
              consumption or more,and reduce emission to a much greater %tage.
              Regards,
              Ron Tan
              www.infernofuel.com