RE: South Street

  • Eric Bruun
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2007
      Larry

      Yes, all well and good. As your fellow Philadelphian I welcome it. However, the trend towards
      reconstruction and new construction that puts parking garages on the first floor of rowhouses
      might undo it. As you know, but for the benefit of other readers, when the parking garages are
      added, then parking along the street is banned. Hence, the street traffic speeds up again due to the wider right-of-way and lack of friction with parked cars. But maybe the safety problem will solve itself. When the street is blighted by all of the garages, the "no parking" signs on these garages, and the sidewalks get blocked by these homeowners who decide it is OK for them to park there for a few hours, there won't be any pedestrians hanging out  or walkind down the streets any more.

      Eric Bruun
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
        the front loading garages will have a definite impact on our plans. Tough to put a mid-blk ped crossing at mid-blk if there are garages there. One way we'll be attempting to address this issue, at least in a limited way, is we'll be proposing to offer the garage owners a financial incentive to convert their garages to living space (eliminating need for curb cut). I think it will be an unique program, as far as I know, not tried anywhere.

        I was thinking something similar to the grant programs for business facade improvements. The program would provide a modest amount to maybe pay for architect services, windows, doors etc. maybe in the range of $4-8K to get rid of the garage, driveway and convert it back to living rm etc.

        I've found that many of the owners of these garage front homes really crave living space over interior accommodations for their automobile. In my observation the market is confirming this trend. Just on my blk alone there's three garage units that have been on the mkt for more than 16mths and similar situation in surrounding blks. The garage to living space incentive program is a logical extension of our walkability plan as eliminating curb cuts promotes better sidewalk conditions.

        maybe San Francisco with all their garage fronts can copy our program.

         BTW: lately there's been fierce resistance to front-loading garage development proposals at our neighborhood zoning mtgs.
        Larry Shaeffer

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
          (Kind thanks to Lee Schipper for the heads-up)
          Op-Ed Contributor
          Clear Up the Congestion-Pricing Gridlock

          *By KEN LIVINGSTONE
          Published: July 2, 2007

          THE New York State Assembly ended its session on June 22 without
          reaching a consensus on Manhattan's congestion pricing proposal - a
          delay that may cost New York City some $500 million in federal
          transportation money. Assembly members have voiced concerns about the
          economic impact of the program, the effect on traffic outside Manhattan
          and even the effectiveness of the idea itself.

          Four years ago, London was engaged in a very similar debate. We now
          have the luxury of hindsight. While the two cities' situations are not
          identical, they certainly have analogies and therefore, perhaps, the
          success of London's program can shed light on the current debate in
          New York.

          At that time, London's business district was undergoing rapid growth,
          but it was at capacity in terms of traffic. Efforts to channel more cars
          into the city center simply led to ever lower traffic speeds, which in
          turn led to business losses and a decrease in quality of life.
          Simultaneously, carbon emissions were mounting because of the
          inefficiency of engine use.

          In 2003, London put in place a £5 (about $9) a day congestion charge
          for all cars that entered the center city (the charge is now £8). This
          led to an immediate drop of 70,000 cars a day in the affected zone.
          Traffic congestion fell by almost 20 percent. Emissions of the
          greenhouse gas carbon dioxide were cut by more than 15 percent.

          The negative side effects predicted by opponents never materialized.
          The retail sector in the zone has seen increases in sales that have
          significantly exceeded the national average. London's theater
          district, which largely falls within the zone, has been enjoying record
          audiences. People are still flocking to London - they're simply
          doing so in more efficient and less polluting ways.

          There has been a marked shift away from cars and into public transport
          and environmentally friendly modes of travel. There has been a 4 percent
          modal shift into use of public transport from private cars since 2000.
          Simultaneously, the number of bicycle journeys on London's major roads
          has risen by 83 percent, to almost half a million a day. Cycling has
          become something of a boom industry in London, with improvement in
          health for those involved and substantial benefit for the environment.

          This success had preconditions. In London, as will be the case in New
          York or any other city, an enhanced public transportation system was
          critical. To ensure readiness, we made significant upgrades to public
          transport. Our investment focused on enhancing London's bus system,
          rather than the subway, because we needed to increase capacity in the
          quickest, most cost-effective way.

          Specifications for a modern, more comfortable fleet were introduced,
          bus lanes were added, and more inspectors were put on to ensure buses
          ran at regular intervals. With London's buses a more attractive
          alternative, the number of bus trips a day has risen to six million, an
          increase of two million from 2000 - with ridership growing most
          rapidly among the highest-paid social groups. In turn, this helped
          relieve pressure on the subway, ensuring it continued to run smoothly.
          Investment in public transport continues to this day, aided by the
          revenue from the congestion charge - the equivalent of some $200
          million annually.

          Like New York's plan, London's congestion program initially met
          with some skepticism. Before the program began, polls showed that public
          opinion was divided almost exactly evenly. Since then, opinion has
          shifted to 2-to-1 in favor.

          The results have led us to expand the initial program. In February the
          existing congestion charging zone was extended westward, doubling its
          size. Traffic in the extended zone fell by 13 percent.

          The next stage of congestion charging in London will be a move to
          emissions-based charging. This will be aimed at deterring vehicles with
          the highest carbon emissions, like sports utility vehicles, from
          entering the city center. The new program will impose a payment of £25
          per day for such vehicles, as well as abolish the 90-percent exemption
          that their owners would receive if they were residents of the congestion
          charging zone. Incidentally, this charge for S.U.V.'s enjoys 3-to-1
          popular support.

          Is London's success a guarantee that congestion charging will work in
          New York? Of course not. But it is an indicator that properly executed
          congestion pricing works, and works well. Singapore and Stockholm
          already operate such programs and other cities are examining them. Given
          the success of congestion charging in London, this is not surprising.

          Ken Livingstone is the mayor of London.

          Lee Schipper
          Director of Research
          EMBARQ, the WRI Center
          for Sustainable Transport
          10 G St. NE
          Washington DC, 20002
          +1202 729 7735
          FAX +1202 7297775
          www.embarq.wri.org
        • Stefan Langeveld
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
            The LCC had originally 2 stated objectives: cut congestion and provide
            funding for public transport.
            But even at the start, there were exemptions and discounts.
            1. Residents living within the congestion charging zone and in a few
            neighbouring streets receive a discount of 90%. This is unfair. Are
            the zone residents more entitled to car use? They profit from less car
            traffic (although the benefit is hard to measure) and pay the least.
            It is true that they are captives: they can´t avoid the zone. But very
            few Londoners drive for pleasure, or have hours left to waste in
            traffic. They all somehow, sometimes need car use. Non-zone residents
            who must enter the zone are unfairly penalized.
            2. The third and hidden objective was to favour alternative fuel
            vehicles. The categories electric, H2, LPG, CNG and hybrids are exempt
            (not biofuels). So any large car with LPG gets a discount of 100%.
            Small petrol cars get no discount.
            3. NHS staff, patients (who are assessed as being too ill to travel on
            public transport) and fire-fighters may claim a reimbursement of the
            Congestion Charge. Nice for them, but the limitation to these groups
            is arbitrary.

            It is impossible to put charges on car use, without running into
            severe problems of equity.
            Already it is a mixed congestion/ emissions charge.

            Now the London government will make it more an emissions charge than a
            congestion charge.
            Charging will be based on the Vehicle Excise Duty Bands, which simply
            measures CO2/kilometer.
            A and B (less than 120g CO2 per km) which meet Euro IV standard £ 0
            C, D, E, F £ 8 (as now)
            G (above 225g CO2 per km) £ 25 without resident exemption.

            This will make SUVs, Jaguars, Porsches and Ferraris (or the world´s
            least efficient cars) even less attainable, more a symbol of status.
            Well at least it is still legal to drive them. Or is that the next step ?
            The charge-change and abolishing the resident exemption for G only are
            superb examples of an adolescent mindset. The life-span of combatting
            congestion appears about four years, now emissions are the new wave.
            The mayor and his team have taxing the rich as their main aim.
            This is about power, showing who is boss, and it is far away from
            decisionmaking for the common good.

            At least CO2/kilometer is better than fuel types. It makes output the
            criterium instead of an arbitrary list of types. It means no more
            fashionable favouring of hybrids, for example.

            Stefan Langeveld
            Amsterdam
            CC-page (English) http://baluw.nl/index.php?id=142

          • Ian Wingrove
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 11, 2007
              Message

              1) Giving residents a CC discount was a political decision to make the CC more acceptable and some of us opposed this compromise - discounts for NHS staff were resisted by the Mayor, despite considerable pressure.

              2) Many Londoners don't have a car, but still manage to live successful and happy lives. Most people who enter the CC area every day don't pay the charge as they don't drive and have no desire to.

              3) Sales of SUVs have started to fall in the last five months. They are down 5% nationally and 7% in London. This is after several years of rapid growth. It is too early to be certain, but we suspect it is because of the Government's decision to increase the differential in car tax for more polluting vehicles and decisions in London to apply the polluter pays principle to CC and also )by a third of London councils) to residents parking. The policy appears to be working, which is good news for the climate.

              Ian Wingrove

> [...]

              > The next stage of congestion charging in London will be a move to
              > emissions-based charging. This will be aimed at deterring vehicles with
              > the highest carbon emissions, like sports utility vehicles, from
              > entering the city center. The new program will impose a payment of £25
              > per day for such vehicles, as well as abolish the 90-percent exemption
              > that their owners would receive if they were residents of the congestion
              > charging zone. Incidentally, this charge for S.U.V.'s enjoys 3-to-1
              > popular support.
              >
              > Is London's success a guarantee that congestion charging will work in
              > New York? Of course not. But it is an indicator that properly executed
              > congestion pricing works, and works well. Singapore and Stockholm
              > already operate such programs and other cities are examining them. Given
              > the success of congestion charging in London, this is not surprising.

              GLA approved disclaimer

              GREATERLONDONAUTHORITY

              EMAIL NOTICE:
              The information in this email may contain confidential or privileged materials. Please read the full email notice at  http://www.london.gov.uk/email-notice.jsp
            • Richard Layman

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2007
                  Message

                  The local authority websites might carry the details. Richmond and Islington both held referendums on the issue - and won. Other councils have just got on with it.

                  Following Richmond council’s decision earlier this year to adopt differential parking rates based on vehicle emissions a third of London’s boroughs have been looking into similar schemes. These are now underway in Haringey, Hackney, Islington and Camden and have been proposed by councils in Tower Hamlets, Lambeth, Kensington and Chelsea, Barking and Dagenham and Southwark