Re: [NewMobility] Smart Growth Market Reforms

  • Al Cormier
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
      Hi Todd,

      As usual, great stuff comes out of your area. I enjoyed scanning through
      it. While i have no information to add, may I ask if I could propose
      your involvement as follows:

      Tomorrow, Richard and I are meeting with the Chair of GO Transit who
      also happens to chair a sub panel on transportation gridlock for the
      Smart Growth Panel looking at all of South Central Ontario. His job is
      to develop a vision for transportation in this large area. Richard and I
      will propose to him that the CST could well be of value in identifying
      principles or strategies (or some other like approach) for consideration
      in developing this vision and recommendations. If he agrees, you would
      be a good addition to the team that we could pull together.

      This is all very speculative at this time but I thought we would share
      that for now.

      Todd Alexander Litman wrote:

      > Thank you very much.
      >
      > Land Value Taxation is one of the strategies discussed in the "Smart Growth
      > Market Reforms" chapter of our Online TDM Encyclopedia at
      > http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm95.htm. Also see the "Land Use Evaluation"
      > chapter at http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm104.htm which provides information on
      > the higher social costs associated with urban sprawl. Please let me know if
      > you have any specific information to add.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > -Todd Litman
      >

      > At 03:26 PM 12/24/2002 +0000, Wetzel Dave wrote:
      >
      >>Cheers Todd
      >>I attach a paper on Land Value Taxation which may be of interest to anyone
      >>trying to fund transport infrastructure projects from a sustainable tax
      >>base.
      >>
      >>Dave
      >>
      >>Dave Wetzel
      >>Vice-Chair, Transport for London
      >>Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL.
      >>Tel: 020 7941 4200. Fax: 020 7941 4748
      >>

      > The @New Mobility Forum is permanently at http://newmobility.org
      > To post messages to list: NewMobility@egroups.com

      Al Cormier
      President & CEO/ Président-directeur général
      The Centre for Sustainable Transportation/
      Le centre pour un transport durable
      15-6400 Millcreek Drive, Suite 309
      Mississauga, ON Canada L5N 3E7
      Tel: 905 858 9242