Taxi deregulation

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002

      From: Footlickers@... [mailto:Footlickers@...]
      Sent:
      Monday, December 23, 2002 1:55 AM
      To: postmaster@...
      Subject: Taxis

      My name is Robert. I own a taxi in Canberra Australia. Our local government is trying to convince our taxi company that deregulation is good. We have yet to be persuaded. Do you have any information on deregulation with regards the Spanish experience especially in Madrid and Barcelona. I'm also interested in the shortcomings or good points relating to the taxi radio system and how it can be improved. Perhaps you could email me at your convenience? If I have contacted you by mistake and you cannot help me, could you possibly pass my request on to the relevant person with a CC to me? Thanks Robert

      Paris, Monday, December 23, 2002

      Dear Robert,

      The best I can do for you today is to forward your request for help to several groups with background in these matters.  Which I am doing with this note.

      Less usefully perhaps, I can also offer you the following brief comments based on some years of studying and working with taxi issues, always in a broader overall transport and community context.  And often with an eye to what we can do with better information and communications technology.

      • When you hear the word deregulation, you do well to reach for your evolver (sorry).  Not least because enough of the experience with deregulating transport over the last decade-plus has been extremely disappointing, for a variety of reasons.

      • As much as anything else, I would say that the problem resides in the fact that all too often the approach taken is simplistic, mechanistic, rhetoric-driven, and rushed. The results have largely born this out.

      • I have looked in taxi operations in a couple of dozen places over the years and on just about all of the continents, and I have to say that upon reflection one of the words that comes not at the top of my list is: flexibility.  Not that the taxis themselves are not flexible – and indeed this should be included in one of the underlying targets of anything we do to change their guiding framework, i.e., more and not less flexibility --; rather that the structures of ordinances and laws within which they perform their functions tend to be stodgy and unnecessarily constraining.

      • So, the goal has to be not to deregulate, but to improve, to create (and how I hate the expression) win-win situations in which the owners, drivers, their clients and the community all come out with big gains.  And indeed it is possible (though that has to be the topic of something a bit more substantial than this off the cuff reply).

      • The key to successful transportation policy is, has to be, deep analysis and dialogue.  Moreover, in the case of a public service function such as taxis, the entire process of dialogue needs to be inclusive, broad and probably slowish.  This can prove irritating for go-getting politicians and administrators looking to hold up the bull’s ears and tail, but hey we are looking at one of the older professions and in many cases the ordinances governing them stretch back a couple of centuries, including, ironically, in cities that have themselves not been around that long (as a result of copycat regulation in the first place).

      • You gotta know what you want as the bottom line.  To me it seems pretty simple: more taxis, more people in them, better wages for drivers, increased earnings for the industry, greater accessibility for all, higher priority in the traffic stream, better driver safety and working conditions, more versatility, greater flexibility, and a greater contribution to the community as a whole.

      • One real enemy to avoid is that of sub-optimization on any score.  This has been the bane of transport policy and practice in the past, sector by sector, and has almost invariably led to a situation of feeding further decline and future problems, usually at enhanced scale and impact.

      • One barrier we find in many places is that it is next too impossible to organist demonstration or pilot projects to test out and prove new approaches and principles.  SO, if one of the handmaidens of so-called ‘deregulation’ is that the new context will permit more and better trial projects, then someone is starting to do something right.

      • Finally, let me share an opinion with you as to what is quite possibly one of the worst ways of setting a new policy in this area:  And this is to hand the job over to some consultants (hey! I am a consultant) who then work with vigor, timeliness and gratifyingly under the whip of their public sector and political masters to come up with the answer package.  Oops.

      To conclude: You have to know what you want.  And process is all.

      Hope that helps.

      Eric Britton

      The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

      Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79

      24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866

      http://ecoplan.org/   IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.132

      Email: ecoplan.adsl@...    URL www.ecoplan.org

    • Todd Alexander Litman
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
        See the following chapters in our Online TDM Encyclopedia:

        Taxi Transport: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm78.htm
        Transportation Regulation Reform: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm53.htm
        Shuttle Services: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm39.htm

        Best wishes,
        -Todd Litman

        Sincerely,
        Todd Litman, Director
        Victoria Transport Policy Institute
        "Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"
        1250 Rudlin Street
        Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, Canada
        Phone & Fax: 250-360-1560
        Email: litman@...
        Website: http://www.vtpi.org
      • Wetzel Dave
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002
          Cheers Todd
          I attach a paper on Land Value Taxation which may be of interest to anyone
          trying to fund transport infrastructure projects from a sustainable tax
          base.

          Dave

          Dave Wetzel
          Vice-Chair, Transport for London
          Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL.
          See the following chapters in our Online TDM Encyclopedia:

          Taxi Transport: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm78.htm
          Transportation Regulation Reform: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm53.htm
          Shuttle Services: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm39.htm

          Best wishes,
          -Todd Litman

          At 03:03 PM 12/23/2002 +0100, Eric Britton wrote:

          The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are
          confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
          entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby
          excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy
          of the contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If
          you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
          received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
          forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

          If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
          postmaster@....

          for the presence of computer viruses.

        • Todd Alexander Litman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
            Thank you very much.

            Land Value Taxation is one of the strategies discussed in the "Smart Growth
            Market Reforms" chapter of our Online TDM Encyclopedia at
            http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm95.htm. Also see the "Land Use Evaluation"
            chapter at http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm104.htm which provides information on
            the higher social costs associated with urban sprawl. Please let me know if
            you have any specific information to add.

            Best wishes,
            -Todd Litman

            At 03:26 PM 12/24/2002 +0000, Wetzel Dave wrote:
            >Cheers Todd
            >I attach a paper on Land Value Taxation which may be of interest to anyone
            >trying to fund transport infrastructure projects from a sustainable tax
            >base.
            >
            >Dave
            >
            >Dave Wetzel
            >Vice-Chair, Transport for London
            >Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL.
            >Tel: 020 7941 4200. Fax: 020 7941 4748
          • Al Cormier
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
              Hi Todd,

              As usual, great stuff comes out of your area. I enjoyed scanning through
              it. While i have no information to add, may I ask if I could propose
              your involvement as follows:

              Tomorrow, Richard and I are meeting with the Chair of GO Transit who
              also happens to chair a sub panel on transportation gridlock for the
              Smart Growth Panel looking at all of South Central Ontario. His job is
              to develop a vision for transportation in this large area. Richard and I
              will propose to him that the CST could well be of value in identifying
              principles or strategies (or some other like approach) for consideration
              in developing this vision and recommendations. If he agrees, you would
              be a good addition to the team that we could pull together.

              This is all very speculative at this time but I thought we would share
              that for now.

              Todd Alexander Litman wrote:

              > Thank you very much.
              >
              > Land Value Taxation is one of the strategies discussed in the "Smart Growth
              > Market Reforms" chapter of our Online TDM Encyclopedia at
              > http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm95.htm. Also see the "Land Use Evaluation"
              > chapter at http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm104.htm which provides information on
              > the higher social costs associated with urban sprawl. Please let me know if
              > you have any specific information to add.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              > -Todd Litman
              >

              > At 03:26 PM 12/24/2002 +0000, Wetzel Dave wrote:
              >
              >>Cheers Todd
              >>I attach a paper on Land Value Taxation which may be of interest to anyone
              >>trying to fund transport infrastructure projects from a sustainable tax
              >>base.
              >>
              >>Dave
              >>
              >>Dave Wetzel
              >>Vice-Chair, Transport for London
              >>Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL.
              >>Tel: 020 7941 4200. Fax: 020 7941 4748
              >>

              > The @New Mobility Forum is permanently at http://newmobility.org
              > To post messages to list: NewMobility@egroups.com

              Al Cormier
              President & CEO/ Président-directeur général
              The Centre for Sustainable Transportation/
              Le centre pour un transport durable
              15-6400 Millcreek Drive, Suite 309
              Mississauga, ON Canada L5N 3E7
              Tel: 905 858 9242