CAR BUSTERS MONTHLY E-BULLETIN #39

  • Car Busters
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2002
      Did you think this bulletin was free?!... Well it is, at least
      grudgingly. But please remember that Car Busters is supported by
      memberships and donations. Your contribution is always welcome. See
      <http://www.carbusters.org/subscribe/> for details.

      _________________________

      CAR BUSTERS BULLETIN >>>
      _____________________________

      Edition no. 39 - October 2002 - English version
      Car Busters, Kratka 26, 10000 Prague 10, Czech Rep.
      tel: +(420) 274-810-849 - fax: +(420) 274-816-727
      <carbusters@...> - <http://www.carbusters.org>

      This month's bulletin is brought to you by Ivana Jakubkova and our
      new staffer from Bordeaux, Aude Vidal. Bienvenue, Aude!

      To avoid various unexplainable formatting problems, view our bulletin
      at <http://www.carbusters.org/subscribe/ebulind.htm>.

      Thought for the month:
      "Does one bum [butt] need four wheels?"
      - slogan on a banner displayed to motorists by two guys on the
      Magistrala Motorway, Prague, September 25

      CONTENTS

      World News
      - SAN FRANCISCO CRITICAL MASS IS TEN YEARS OLD
      - PRO-BIKE/PRO-WALK CONFERENCE WRAP-UP
      - DON'T JUMP ON THE MAGLEV TRAIN BANDWAGGON

      Announcements
      - THIRD "BREAK THE GRIDLOCK" CONFERENCE
      - CALL TO ACTION AT BIRMINGHAM MOTOR SHOW
      - SUPPORT POLISH ANTI-ROAD ACTIVITIES
      - JOB OPENING: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR, ITDP
      - A NEW CAR-FREE NEIGHBOURHOOD IN THE USA?
      - SEE WHAT YOU'RE BREATHING

      Car Busters Announcements
      - WORLDWIDE CONTACT DIRECTORY HAILED AS SUCCESS
      - WORLD CAR-FREE DAYS: HOW WAS IT FOR YOU?
      - A CALL OUT FOR CAR BUSTERS CORRESPONDENTS
      - "HI, MY NAME'S JANE, AND I'M AN AUTOHOLIC"
      - TRANSLATORS STILL WANTED

      Things To Read
      - BICYCLE RESEARCH REPORT
      - TRANSPORTATION COSTS AND BENEFIT ANALYSIS

      Disclaimer

      _______________

      WORLD NEWS >>
      __________________

      SAN FRANCISCO CRITICAL MASS IS TEN YEARS OLD
      [a round-up by Paul VanDeCarr]

      Car traffic was jammed up worse than usual in San Francisco,
      California on September 25, thanks to a profusion of bicycle traffic.
      The tenth anniversary of Critical Mass drew an estimated 3,000 to
      5,000 riders, which put the ride among the biggest Critical Masses in
      the city’s history.
      Police reports put the ride at 40 blocks long at one point. As
      smaller groups splintered off, the overall ride got shorter, but the
      variety of different routes people took (about three or four major
      splinter rides at most) made for more traffic chaos and rider
      excitement! As splinter rides rejoined each other at a given
      intersection, and perhaps reformed and splintered off again, riders
      in each group cheered each other, as if they were long-lost siblings
      rejoining each other after a battle!
      Attitudes of and about the riders varied sharply with some riders
      seeing drivers as potential allies and others seeing cars as war-
      causing, stress-producing pollution monsters that have to be stopped.
      Car drivers were perhaps more unified in their views than were
      bicyclists, namely that Critical Mass is a pain in the ass —
      specifically, the one they’re sitting on while waiting for thousands
      of bicyclists to pass by! One driver I saw got out of his car and
      started screaming at riders "You’re all assholes! I just want to get
      home for dinner! Assholes!" Other drivers seemed to take it in
      stride, sitting on the hoods (bonnets) of their cars and watching the
      parade pass by.
      Earlier in the day was the city’s first official "Car-Free Day,"
      in which a portion of a downtown street was closed to traffic for the
      afternoon, making way for bicycle activities, mime artists, and other
      eco-friendly fun. The day wasn’t entirely car-free, as it turned out;
      the mayor showed up in an electric car, amending it to be
      "alternative transportation day."

      PRO-BIKE/PRO-WALK CONFERENCE WRAP-UP
      [submitted by Andy Singer, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA]

      As one who attended the 12th International ProBike/ProWalk conference
      (September 3-6) here in St. Paul, I can say it was very inspiring.
      Every two years, over 300 pedestrian and cycling advocates, traffic
      engineers, cycling industry representatives and health department
      professionals get together to figure out how best to get people out
      of their cars. There are workshops on every subject imaginable:
      creating better connections between bicycles and public transit;
      effective statewide advocacy; using the media; where to get funding
      for pedestrian and cycling projects; bike safety; etc.
      One major focus was on the "Safe Routes to Schools" programme and
      the health issues surrounding it. The US Health Department and Center
      for Disease Control (CDC) report a huge increase in obesity among
      Americans, particularly children, with corresponding increases in
      childhood diabetes. The cost of these kids for the US health care
      system (as they become adults) will be enormous. In addition to
      increased use of television, video games and sedentary lifestyles,
      researchers blame cars. In the 1970s, 75 percent of kids got to
      school by foot or bicycle. Now the number is down to less than 15
      percent!
      So the CDC has made some money available to US communities to
      start "Safe Routes to Schools" programs to encourage kids to walk or
      ride bikes to school. What form these programmes will take is hard to
      say, but cycling and pedestrian advocates see this as a possible
      springboard for larger biking and walking campaigns. One statistic
      from these discussions that stuck in my head was that "on average,
      the typical American walks just 300 yards [metres] per day!"
      Another issue widely discussed was the reauthorization of the (US)
      Transportation Efficiency Act, dubbed "TEA-3." This law allows for as
      much as a third of federal gas tax revenues (US$50 billion) to be
      used for non-automotive purposes. Many at the conference have
      observed that highway departments are increasingly misusing TEA money
      for off-ramps and other highway projects and calling them
      "pedestrian" or "safety" improvements. So advocates are urging a
      tightening of the rules and regulations for how TEA-3 money can be
      spent. Ellen Vanderslice, president of America Walks, dubbed these
      proposed reforms "GREEN TEA." The Surface Transportation Policy
      Project has more information on TEA-3 on its website:
      <http://www.transact.org>.
      The next conference will be held in two years in Victoria, British
      Columbia, Canada. Check it out!: <http://www.bikewalk.org>.

      DON'T JUMP ON THE MAGLEV TRAIN BANDWAGGON
      [submitted by Evert Hassink, Friends of the Earth/Milieudefensie
      Groningen, The Netherlands]

      Sorry, last month we stopped campaigning on cars because our
      government has found a means of transport that might beat the car in
      stupidity. It is called the Magnetic Levitation (maglev) train, which
      is sold by Siemens under the name Transrapid.
      The Dutch government reserved EUR 2.7 billion and regional
      authorities are looking for another EUR 1.1 billion for buying a line
      between Amsterdam (Schipol Airport) and the cute little town of
      Groningen where we live. The project is sold as a sound way of
      investing in the regional economy, and an environmentally friendly
      way of public transport.
      But the energy consumption of maglev transport per passenger is
      comparable to that of a luxury car and the price will be double that
      of a normal railway ticket. The travelling time will be halved, which
      will make the train useful for the "time is money" guys.
      The major problem with this fast train is that it creates its own
      market [induces demand]. Models show that those who will use this
      train would not travel if there was no fast transport. Many people
      will move to towns farther away from their work. The train causes
      dispersal of social and economical networks. This means not only
      extra train transport, but also extra car transport.
      You can find out more (mostly in Dutch) at
      <http://www.milieudefensie.nl/verkeer/>.

      __________________

      ANNOUNCEMENTS >>
      __________________

      THIRD "BREAK THE GRIDLOCK" CONFERENCE

      Saturday, October 12 in Chicago: This is your opportunity to meet the
      leaders in Chicago's burgeoning activist community and contribute to
      making your city a model for a sane and sensible (and car-less)
      transportation policy. More info at
      <http://www.breakthegridlock.org>.

      CALL TO ACTION AT BIRMINGHAM MOTOR SHOW
      [submitted by Karen Leach, Birmingham, UK]

      On October 23, world leaders gather in New Delhi to talk about
      climate change. On the same day in Birmingham, with no sense of
      irony, a motor show will celebrate car culture with its profligate
      waste of fossil fuels. There, Friends of the Earth (FOE) Birmingham
      will organise an action against car culture and hypermobility - and
      for walking, cycling and public transport.
      To take part in the action, contact Birmingham FOE at
      <beep@...>. Accommodation available if required.
      More info at <http://www.greenbirmingham.com/footwork>.

      SUPPORT POLISH ANTI-ROAD ACTIVITIES!
      [submitted by Frank van Schaik, A SEED Europe]

      In August, the Polish parliament began to work on bills that will
      make it easier to build motorways and freeways in the country. A
      number of Polish groups have been circulating a petition to urge the
      Parliament to drop its intention to build more motorways. This
      petition will be presented to the speaker of the Polish Parliament on
      the occasion of a demo on October 10 in Warsaw.
      Polish activists hope to also apply pressure at the European
      level, so they request Western European groups and individuals to
      sign their petition and attend the demo.
      For support and information: Piotr Bielski
      <pbielski@...>.

      JOB OPENING: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR, ITDP
      [submitted by Paul Steely White, ITDP, <mobility@...>]

      The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy's New York
      office seeks a Communications Director to manage ITDP media,
      including Sustainable Transport Magazine (annual), Sustainable
      Transport e-Update (quarterly), and in cooperation with ITDP's
      webmaster, ITDP.org. The Communications Director will also
      collaborate with other ITDP staff to devise and circulate regular
      press releases, manage the annual year-end fundraising letter, and
      perform other communications and fundraising tasks as needed.
      Application deadline: November 1. See <www.itdp.org> for the full job
      announcement.

      A NEW CAR-FREE NEIGHBOURHOOD IN THE USA?
      [submitted by Jeffrey Rosenblum]

      Between Cambridge, Charlestown and Somerville, Massachusetts lies an
      area known as North Point. For over a century, it has been the site
      of railyards and other industrial uses. Now, this area, the largest
      remaining undeveloped parcel in Cambridge, is proposed for complete
      redevelopment. Being advised by Joel Crawford, author of the book
      "Carfree Cities," a group of residents propose North Point to become
      a car-free neighborhood. For more info or to get involved, check out
      <http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~rauch/northpoint/>.

      SEE WHAT YOU'RE BREATHING
      [submitted by Margot Brinn]

      Have you heard of <http://www.scorecard.org>? It ranks counties in
      the USA by pollution level and provides analysis of sources of the
      pollution. For example, our county, Tompkins, is in the top 40
      percent of polluted counties and most of it comes from mobile
      sources. How are your county's lungs doing?

      ______________________________

      CAR BUSTERS STUFF >>
      ________________________________

      WORLDWIDE CONTACT DIRECTORY HAILED AS SUCCESS
      [submitted by Richard Lane]

      The international community has been unreserved in its praise for the
      Car Busters Worldwide Contacts Directory, up and active on the web
      and currently hovering at 253 entries. Leading thinkers and world
      leaders have rushed to heap praise upon the tool, and so far the
      banana offered as a prize for breaking it remains unclaimed. Register
      your group today, and see it there a few days later. Despite glowing
      tributes from Nelson Mandela, the Dali Lama, and Gandalf out of Lord
      Of The Rings, we're still interested in your opinions about it. Let
      us know. This remarkable piece of work is at
      <http://www.carbusters.org/directory/>.

      WORLD CAR-FREE DAYS: HOW WAS IT FOR YOU?
      [also submitted by Richard Lane]

      We hope you've got your breath back after this year's worldwide call
      to action. So far we've been told about events which took place in 40
      cities on four continents. It's all up there on
      <http://www.carbusters.org/carfreeday/events.htm>. Action reports are
      beginning to slowly trickle in. Please, if you've been involved in a
      World Car-Free Days action, let us know how it went! And if you saw
      any news about it appearing in the media, we'd like to know about
      that to. We'll have a run-down of the world's activities in our next
      magazine (no. 16), and on our website before too long.

      A CALL OUT FOR CAR BUSTERS CORRESPONDENTS
      [submitted by Randy Ghent]

      Do you have your finger on the pulse of transport(ation) news and
      action in your country or region? Do you have skills in
      writing/journalism, research, art/photography, communication, or at
      least newspaper clipping? If so, you may be exactly the sort of
      person we're looking for...
      We at Car Busters Central want to involve people in the wider
      movement (that means you) more directly in our projects, and a
      network of formal correspondents is among the ways this will happen.
      Correspondents will be given clear guidelines - in addition to the
      writers' guidelines now at
      <www.carbusters.org/magazine/guidelines.htm> - on how to best be our
      eyes and ears around the world. They will contribute material for our
      monthly bulletin and especially our quarterly magazine, where they
      will be listed with impressive-sounding titles such as "The Honorable
      Royal Liechtenstein Correspondent."
      In addition to an official gold-plated car-busting mallet and the
      glory of it all, we will offer correspondents regular contact and
      journalistic feedback. Correspondents should, at the minimum,
      contribute useful material at least once every three months.
      Anyone interested in becoming a correspondent should contact
      <carbusters@...>. Act now and you may (or may not) receive a bonus
      set of seven stainless-steel Ginsu steak knives. This is a volunteer
      position, by the way.

      "HI, MY NAME'S JANE, AND I'M AN AUTOHOLIC"
      [also submitted by Randy Ghent]

      We've got grand ideas for starting a light-hearted, good-humoured
      recovery programme for car addicts - and we want to recruit all of
      you car-free and car-lite former car addicts to join us.
      Autoholics Anonymous will consist of two parts: a secular 12-step
      recovery programme and an information clearinghouse providing
      resources on how to become car-free or reducing one's car use (plus
      how to encourage broader change at the community level).
      Autoholics.org, which we've already purchased, would be the
      virtual headquarters of this network, and it could eventually be
      linked to independent national Autoholics Anonymous websites that
      would provide country-specific information. We envision "up-close-and-
      personal" profiles of former car addicts (with their names and
      photos), explaining how they kicked the habit or "began the lifelong
      recovery process." We imagine an on-line forum where people can get
      advice and support from those who are already car-free. Some of it is
      just providing things our existing Resource Centre should provide,
      but putting it in a different "package" - one with more humour and
      less perception of being oriented towards confrontation.
      So we're looking for former car addicts and recovering car addicts
      - basically anyone who used to drive but has cut way back or "gone
      cold turkey" - to step forward and tell us your story at
      <carbusters@...>. Then we need national or regional AA contact
      people. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, we need people willing
      to contribute time and energy to building the web site and the
      recovery programme. So now's your chance. It all depends on you!

      TRANSLATORS STILL WANTED
      [submitted by Petr Kurfuerst]

      We are still looking for volunteers that can help us make our website
      as open to people as possible. We have created a short summary about
      Car Busters which is currently being translated into as many
      languages as possible. This brief basic info will be put onto the
      website and will require no updating. It is about 2,700 words
      altogether. We already have French, German, Italian, Spanish, Czech
      and Esperanto under control. We are still looking for translators
      into Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Polish, Dutch and
      Romanian. So if you want to help us with this, please let us know and
      we'll send you a short Word file with the text for translation. The
      above are priority languages, but if you feel like doing any other,
      let us know. Deadline: ideally October 20, but a little later is
      still okay. Thanks.

      ___________________

      THINGS TO READ >>
      __________________

      BICYCLE RESEARCH REPORT

      The European Cyclists' Federation produces a month publication called
      Bicycle Research Report. In the latest issue (September), you can
      find a report on "Research and experimentation on the strategies
      adopted by urban cyclists." Check out <http://www.ecf.com>.

      TRANSPORTATION COSTS AND BENEFIT ANALYSIS

      The Victoria Transport Policy Institute has posted an on-line edition
      of
      "Transportation Cost And Benefit Analysis: Techniques, Estimates and
      Implications." It's a comprehensive study of transportation cost-
      benefit
      analysis and a guidebook for applying this information in planning
      and policy.
      To be found at <http://www.vtpi.org/tca>.

      ___________________

      DISCLAIMER >>
      __________________

      Anyone happen to know of a shelter for a few hundred toads named
      Fluffy?
      Please, our office is heaving with them! We can't hear a word in here
      because
      of all the noise they make, can't move without bumping into a dozen
      and, most importantly, we can't see what we're typing through all the
      schmutz on our screens...

      [end]

      CAR BUSTERS
      Kratka 26, 100 00 Praha 10, Czech Republic
      tel: +(420) 2-7481-0849 - fax: +(420) 2-7481-6727
      <carbusters@...> - <http://www.carbusters.org>

      Car Busters Worldwide Contact Directory
      Register your group on-line now:
      <http://www.carbusters.org/directory>