Re: Priority Access for Buses?

  • Simon Field
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
      An alternative to the bus lane is the 'no car lane', of which there
      are plenty in Tyne and Wear. It does what it says on the tin: all
      vehicles except private cars are permitted. Unfortunately I do not
      have evaluation data to hand.

      I do like the concept of bus lanes as a clear indication that public
      transport is prioritised over motorists. If well designed over whole
      routes and their capacity is exploited, they DO cut bus and tram
      journey times. They can be opened to all traffic at off-peak times if
      desired.

      Going off-topic a bit, there are cycle approach-activated crossings in
      Newcastle - again, a clear message to drivers that they are not at the
      top of the mobility hierarchy.

      Simon.

      --- In NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cassini"
      <martincassini@...> wrote:

      > I've often thought this was a good idea - far better than
      squandering road capacity with permanent bus lanes that feed the egos
      of traffic dogmats but do nothing to improve flow or journey times.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007

        Priority Access for Buses - Tight little island syndrome revisited:

        Who if anyone here might be interested in participating in a discussion of priority access for buses via an informal  Skypecast conference?

        There is a great deal of experience of all kinds and qualities on this topic, and interestingly enough Britain has for the most part lagged way behind in this for decades.  I remember a private session with London Transport and the GLC to discuss just this subject, and what I recall at the time was that everyone there, all smarter than me by miles, made it clear to me that the only eventual utility of reserved bus lanes was in short bits just before traffic lights for, as they called them, “queue jumpers”.  Other people in other places have thought different and we have some interesting results.

        If you might like to consider giving this a whack, please have a look at the Introductory note at http://www.newmobility.org/agenda.htm to see how the Skypecasts work. It’s simple, free and quite effective.

        Drop me a note and we’ll find a good time and together fashion a short agenda.