You and the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2002

      Paris,   Sunday, January 27, 2002

      NOTE:  The last day for project entries is 31 January 2002

      Dear Friends,

      We would like to invite you to take a look at the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities website at www.partnerships.stockholm.se/ and to see if you might possibly wish to enter your of some other fine sustainability/city/innovations program in the 2002 International Awards Competition.  It strikes us on the basis of what we know about your work, that you may have one or more projects that could do well there.  In any event you will find full information on the Partnerships site, and if you have any questions, I invite you to get in touch with me directly.

      In this context, it may interest you to know that we are preparing press releases for all nominated projects  with short media articles which are then available for international distribution.  We do this in good part because we feel that nominated projects can benefit from this coverage in their local and national press.  Thus if you do decide to enter, you may want to consider sending us as well your best local and national media contacts to whom our press people can email any articles that we might be able to prepare announcing your project’s participation, be sure that we will do our best to put them to work for you and the Stockholm Partnerships program more generally.

      And of course if you have any ideas for us, or choose to share this news about the Stockholm Awards competition with any of your networks with interests in any of these areas covered by the Partnerships program, we would be most grateful for your collaboration.

      With all good wishes for the success of your activities in 2002 and beyond,

      Eric Britton

      Chair of the Stockholm Partnerships Jury

      www.partnerships.stockholm.se/

      The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

      Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 8096 7879

      24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866

      http://ecoplan.org/   IP Videoconference: 193.251.38.219

      Email: ecoplan.adsl@...   URL www.ecoplan.org

      Countries thus far represented with projects in Stockholm Partnerships :

      Angola, Australia, Austria, Belgium Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lithuania, Malawi, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Palestinian Territories, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Vietnam, and yes.. Sweden.

      The Bouquet Concept:

      More often than not events such as this are organized in manners which more or less resemble football league tables, with winners, rankings and, by inference, losers.  But we want you to know that this is not by any means a process that your Stockholm Partnerships jury either recognizes or intends to use as its model.  To us every one of the projects that are accepted as nominees are winners.  Our model by contrast is to sort out from all this wealth a “bouquet” of projects and approaches, each of value in itself but also interesting and useful as part of a greater whole.

      Our modest goal? Simply to take the breath away from all those assembled in the Great Blue Hall of the City of Stockholm on that June evening with a bouquet of projects and approaches that will give them new ideas and inspirations for their own cites, their work and their lives.  (I attach an article just written today in answer to a request for further information, which is to be published tomorrow by “In World News Today”.  If you go to their web page on Stockholm at http://www.inworldnewstoday.com/Stockholm.html, you will see that they also carry a small banner announcing the Partnerships.  Since this article is free of copyright, you may also use share it with your local and national media if you feel that might be useful.)

      International Media Campaign in support of nominated projects:

      Over the month of February, the organizers will be running an international media campaign in an effort to ensure that ALL of the two hundred nominated projects are made known and supported in their own national and local media.  A typical press release opens with a short sentence introducing the project, follows on with two short paragraphs telling about the Stockholm Partnerships, and then dedicates a final section of two or three paragraphs to explain some of the unique characteristics of that particular project.  We are doing this because we have seen in past programs that this kind of global/local interaction and open recognition can often be a big help to projects in getting better support and visibility in their own cities and countries.

      Thus, if you have a project candidate you may want to take this opportunity to let us have a list of local and cantonal media to whom we should be addressing these releases. All we need is the name of the newspaper, magazine, radio or television station, or agency, along with their full email address and other eventual references.  This information can then be used by the Stockholm Partnerships media team here to get out the good word on your project.

      Newsletter:

      You may find it useful to go to the first page of the site and sign up to receive the Newsletter, which will be the main means of contact with all of you over the coming months.  You will not be bothered with too many such notes, but when we have something important to share with you this will be the way we intend to do it.