Finding a win-win strategy for Bogota

  • eric.britton@ecoplan.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2001
      * (This note contains the earlier correspondence on the Bogota crisis of the
      last day's, placed here for those who have not had access to it. For the
      latest direct, check out http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/. For history, try
      http://www.ecoplan.org/votebogota2000/.)

      Dear Lake, Christopher and Group,

      Thanks for those fine heads-up Christopher and Lake. Let me run this
      through you and the others as I understand it. Since it is quite possible
      that I am at error in some part if not all of this, it will be with pleasure
      to hear from you all so that we get this important story in its full and
      necessary perspective. And at the same time, we have to be aware that time
      is very short here if there is anything that we might do to attenuate this
      situation.

      1. Wow! One does has to wonder about what goes on in the mind of
      purportedly sentient person in a Third World city who would be prepared to
      take on the couple of hundred thousand people who work in the private bus
      and taxi sector. History is littered with the corpses of those who have
      tried, whether in Chile, in Colombia itself a decade and a half before
      Salvador Allende has his face-off with the truckers, or... and the list goes
      on.

      2. We must be careful to keep a balanced perspective on all this. The
      transportation and public space accomplishments of the city and its
      administrators over these last few years have been of a very high levels,
      and against all the odds. I think we have given excellent coverage of this
      here in The Commons, as well as our active, world-level support. No problem
      there. We love Bogota and we love certainly no less the emerging Bogota
      Model for Third World Cities. But we also need to be very sure that we have
      the right model, and that as we are seeing is a terrific challenge indeed.
      Work for which many hands are needed!

      3. I would tend to be very careful however about seeing this as an "us"
      (good TransMilenio, bike paths, walking and pubic spaces, Ciclovías (car
      free Sundays), and all that other good stuff) and "them" (all those filthy,
      polluting, half criminal, dangerous and the list goes on vehicles) issue.
      This is however, I am afraid, the sub-text of what has been going on in
      Bogota more or less all along- and is on area in which I was in strong
      opposition with previous administration (but apparently without being
      vociferous enough about it to make my point).

      4. By the way, let's ponder for a moment who's the "them" there. Let's
      see -- bearing in mind that these are very rough figures since the actual
      number of vehicles out there on the streets is subject to all kinds fo real
      world stuff - we have something like 55,000 taxis and 35,000 or so buses of
      various types and sizes. Figure anywhere from 3 to 5 support people (AKA
      jobs) for each of those vehicles, and we quickly are moving up toward half a
      million. Then factor in families of 3, 4 or more dependents? Hey, that's a
      pretty big number of people to be playing with. Working people with no
      safety net.

      5. The point needs to be made about these operators that there is nothing
      superfluous about the services they are providing. While they maybe didn't
      get doctorates in transportation planning from some splendid First World
      schools, they nonetheless are succeeding in providing services that people
      want and are willing to pay for - without the great sucking sound of public
      subsidy.

      6. Is this to say that the transport planners and the city do not have a
      point? Of course they do -- there are a real set of problems and challenges
      out there that have to be resolved. There are, for example, a lot of empty
      buses roaming around once the peak hour traffic has passed, and sure that's
      a problem. And they are old and pollute in FULL CAPS. And they run
      illegally pretty much as they wish. And and... But there are ways, and
      there are ways.

      7. I for one was looking forward to resolving these dangerous contradictions
      with careful discussions and well thought out positions before going to bat
      on this one. It had been my hope (and I guess it still is) to create a High
      Level Task Force, whose job it would be to work with, follow and advice the
      city and all those concerned about their transport-related policies over the
      15 year period which has been targeted by the successful October Referendum
      (which as you ay recall we vociferously and with high profile supported from
      here). But months have passed and there is still no Task Force in sight.

      8. This next sentence, you either go with or you don't. In the latter
      instance, there is surely no reason to read beyond it.

      9. The future of transport in Third World cities must (MUST!) take the form
      of a dynamic, innovative, and patient partnership that brings together "new"
      concepts such as the TransMilenio, waling and cycling as transport, in
      parallel with a steady upgrading and INCLUSION of the very large number of
      people and small groups who today are making their livings and providing
      needed services in the city.

      10. Anything less than that will be a victory for the authoritarian central
      planners and a defeat for access, efficiency and social justice. The problem
      with folks who learned everything they know about life in universities and
      then get nice jobs in administrations or as consultants, is that they very
      often don't know much about life on the street. Nor apparently much about
      concepts such as love, community, responsibilities to family and dignity.
      And yet these are central issues here.

      11. You see, people such as the taxistas and small bus operators have to be
      seen as OWNING THEIR JOBS, which means that we as advisors or administrators
      cannot simply take them away from them. Nor introduce unilateral and large
      changes in their working environment, without some sort of tit for tat. And
      where's the tit for tat in Bogota today?

      12. The weakness of the Transmilenio et al plan until now is that it
      presumes a certain vision of the future of the city which is essentially
      cloistered, academic and unreal. It has its strong points, and its weaker
      points. And this is probably the weakest of all.

      13. What Bogota needs (if I may) is a well thought out network of TMs, cycle
      paths and the rest, plus draconian parking and private car control
      limitations plus lots of small vehicles scooting around providing cheap and
      flexible transportation for people of all economic groups - and lots of good
      jobs! The potential for upgrading these private systems is enormous and
      many sided.

      14. And are the people who are the drivers, operators, owners, etc. easy to
      work with? You bet they aren't! Life is tough out there on the street and
      most of the time they meet a guy in a suit it's because the suited one is
      going to make things worse for them. And here, dear friends, we have one
      more example.

      15. I am dead sure that this whole thing can be resolved, but the first step
      in this process has to be wisdom and not wounded honor. And it has to be
      taken by the administration.

      16. Mayor Mockus has a terrific opportunity here. At the same time while
      backing away from their ill planned (and rotten) idea of extending the Pico
      y Placa by fiat, he can first declare a hiatus, let the guys get back to
      work in a normal way, while announcing that the government is now ready to
      enter into a New Mobility Partnership with the small service providers -
      with the backing (if it can be done in the needed hurry, if only in
      principle as a first step) of folks such as the UNDP, WB, IADB and the other
      usual suspects.. including bilateral aid programs.

      By doing this they will snatch victory out of the jaws of the defeat which
      they are sure to meet if they keep playing for the win at all costs. Hey,
      this is a great opportunity for them, and for the Bogota Model. So, what do
      you have to say about that? And what can we do with this next?

      Eric

      PS. Incidentally, I have a hard time in agreeing with your criticism, Lake,
      of El Tiempo's coverage. Let's not forget they have been consistent
      supporters of positive transport innovation over these last years, including
      for the first (and second) award winning Car Free Day. If they are not
      lining up behind the planners, does this necessarily mean that they are
      wrong or mean spirited? I doubt it on both scores. I have checked carefully,
      including today, and find the coverage quite balanced and fair.

      = = = = =
      Letter 1 from Christian Dunkerley from Bogota on Mon 8/6/2001 10:56 PM

      Dear Eric,

      I am writing to you from an internet cafe in Bogota... I was caught in the
      mess on Thursday, and the blockage was massive. In fact, it was the worst
      that Bogota has experienced in its entire life. Most of the main
      intersections and roads were blocked. Rich and poor had to walk: there was
      no other way out. It was very democratic: everyone was affected. In my
      case, I had to walk around 6 miles to get back home. Not even schools or
      emergency services were spared.

      The funny thing is that I spent 5 years in a research project at ITS-Leed
      University studying the impact of road infrastructure closures in
      Colombia!!! If you want more precise details of the closures(and my
      publications on this area), I can send them when I get back to the UK... my
      other email address is cdunkerley@...

      Regards,

      Christian Dunkerley
      Transport Economist
      TRL Limited

      = = = =
      Letter 2 from Lake Sagaris [sagaris@...] on Tue 8/7/2001 3:08 PM

      Hi Eric

      Patricio and I just got back from Bogota where we spent quite a bit of time
      with the folks at TransMilenio, Ciclovías, etc. They're doing an amazing
      job in very difficult conditions. It was quite clear, however, that El
      Tiempo has taken a very strong editorial line against TransMilenio itself
      and that there is an enormous and very important debate going on about what
      should happen with the rest of the transportation system in the city. I'm
      not sure that you should be so pessimistic -- rather than a "screw up" in
      Bogota, I'd characterize this as a "Crucial debate" in that it is very
      important that the positive initiatives taken by authorities past and
      present be recognized and receive broad and increasingly active support
      from the citizens. Otherwise, in the conditions (33,000 buses!!!, not to
      mention taxis, etc.) existing in Bogotá it will be very difficult to expand
      the benefits of TransMilenio beyond the current 340,000 -- 1 million by
      years end -- daily passenger trips (this should end up being about 1/7 of
      those who move by bus, which in turn is 80% of daily commutes).

      One problem is that authorities in general and in Latin America in
      particular constantly underestimate the importance of citizens'
      participation and hence support for their transportation policies. They
      think they can change the city without the citizens, a deadly assumption.

      If you look at the letters to the editor section of the same issue of El
      tiempo which you posted, most of the letters are very sensible and express
      support for "Pico y Placa" and, in general, the measures being taken by the
      authorities. There is also widespread approval of TransMilenio, which is
      also (miracle of miracles!!!) making money, and these are crucial elements
      to the debate.

      Anyway, I may be missing something as I haven't read the papers from Bogotá
      in the past week, but in general we found people on the street were also
      very happy with TransMilenio. We found it was still being underestimated in
      the sense of what it could do for local business (same with the Ciclovías)
      and that is an important gap, but everything takes time and it will surely
      come eventually.

      All best
      Lake

      PS I'm cc'ing this to you because I suspect the list won't take the new
      address I'm sending from.

      At 07:26 AM 07/08/01 +0200, you wrote:
      >Dear Colleagues,
      >
      >I would very much like to have the benefit of your reactions and thoughts
      as
      >to what is currently going on in Bogota. I personally and professionally
      >find it extremely distressing.
      >
      >Have a look at today's El Tiempo at
      >http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/06-08-2001/prip83036.html to get the latest.
      >(I attach the usual horrible machine translation, without apologies for
      >anyone who needs a bit of help in making their way through the Spanish
      >text.)
      >
      >If you look around through the recent issues of El Tiempo, you can see this
      >storm coming. And if you want a flavour for how things are looking out
      >there on the streets, check out
      >http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/proyectos/ultimahora/trancon/.
      >
      >Those of us who follow transport matters in the Third World are well aware
      >of what a dynamite keg it can be. That's on the one hand. But then there
      >is all the careful work that has been done over these last years to make
      >progress in building a new model of r in Third World cities. If the
      present
      >administration gets this one any wronger, that could be the real victim of
      >all this.
      >
      >There is an expression that I remember from German when I was little, which
      >went that as soon as a child says something clever at the table it's time
      >put him to bed. This situation reminds me sadly of that: the original Pico
      >y Placa (Odd/Even) scheme of the previous (Peñalosa) administration was
      >extremely well thought out and has worked admirably with private cars for
      >several years. Admirably! And now the new mayor (a fine and intelligent
      >man, as it happens) and his advisors (ahem!) have decided that, since it
      >works so well and they still want less traffic, well why not apply it to
      >private buses and taxis? Ouch!
      >
      >But hey! maybe I have this all horribly wrong. I'd love to think that's the
      >case and that they have really thought all this through and that the Bogota
      >Model is going to come through this unscathed.
      >
      >Comments?
      >
      >Eric Britton
      >
      >The @New Mobility Forum is permanently at http://newmobility.org
      >The Commons ___Sustainable Development and Social Justice___
      >Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, 75006 Paris, France
      >Eric.Britton@... Tel: +331 4326 1323
      >

      >= = = =
      >
      >BOGOTÁ, ANOTHER TIME TO HALF MARCH FOR UNEMPLOYMENT OF TRANSPORT
      >
      >The transporters again carry out a work stoppage to protest against
      extending the
      Odd/Even scheme for public service vehicles. Hundreds of citizens
      >crowd together in the stations of the service of the mass transport
      >Transmilenio, the only one that currently works. Others carry out long
      walks to
      >arrive to their working place. Today there are no classes in the district
      >and private schools. For the time being, there are no blockades.
      >

      >To the edge of the midnight they broke the conversations among the Mayor
      >Antanas Mockus and the transporters of Bogotá, with that which was firm the
      >measure of the pick and badge for the public transportation and today
      Monday
      >an unemployment will be presented on the part of taxis and buses in the
      >capital, fair the day of its birthday number 463.
      >
      >With mutual accusations of intransigence, Mockus and the transporters gave
      >end at eight hours of negotiation after which there were not agreements.
      The
> [...]
      >the security, Hugo Steel.
      >
      >Linares said that there are 60 control positions in the city and 40 cranes
      >will be available to move away the vehicles that obstruct the roads.
      >
      >The objective of the advice was to review the contingency stockings that
      are
      >had foreseen to avoid alterations of the public order in Bogotá. Troops of
      >the Army are bet around the city with the purpose of preventing that the
      >guerrilla's urban militias can infiltrates in the possible manifestations
      >that are carried out.
      >
      >Of another side, yesterday the Defender of the Town, Eduardo Cifuentes,
      said
      >that the taponamiento of the citizens' roads viola fundamental rights.
      >
      >According to the Defender, to impede the normal flow of vehicles and people
      >in the city, it is an attack against the free mobilization.
      >
      >Cifuentes said that the drivers are in all its right of protesting provided
      >they make it for the road of the I dialogue and the agreement, and not
      >through measures that affect to the rest of the society.
      >
      >The Mayor's office announced that that of today will be an ordinary day and
      >that therefore the scheduled activities are not suspended with reason of
      the
      >celebration of the 463 years of the capital.
      >
      >Even, Mockus will be at 7 in the morning in a journey for TransMilenio that
      >today gives a new line of the system in the North Freeway. He/she also
      >enters in operation in Portal of Usme, in the south end of the city. The
      new
      >stations will allow the mobilization of at least 80 thousand passengers.
      >
      >Recommendations
      >
      >Avoid to take the taxis or buses whose registrations finish in 1, 2, 3 and
      >4, because the surest thing is that the authorities will immobilize him and
      >you won't be able to follow their journey.
      >
      >To avoid that he/she repeats that of last Thursday, when children's
      >thousands were caught by several hours in the blockades promoted by the
      taxi
      >drivers, call to the school of their children and discover if there are
      >classes.
      >
      >Limit their activities of the day, carry out alone those that it considers
      >really important.
      >
      >Try not to traffic for the places where they concentrate the protests, as
      >downtown, for example.
      >
      >If it can go out with their particular vehicle, ask if some neighbor or
      >relative goes for his same route and bring near it.
      >
      >If today's journey is not very long, use bicycle or put on comfortable
      >clothes and walk.
      >
      >Remember that TransMilenio will lend its ordinary service, starting from
      >5:30 o'clock including the new ones truncates them a.m., and park in the
      >North Freeway and the Portal of Usme.
      >
      >In the event of an emergency, don't doubt to communicate with the Police.
    • Dinesh Mohan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2001
        I must say that I agree with the spirit behind Eric's observations. All of us
        want clean air. But sometimes we forget that it is human beings (and other
        living organisms) that need the clean air. If some policies harm human beings
        then we have to decide who, when and how. In many less motorised countries the
        most vociferous and influential sustainable development advocates belong to the
        upper class, and their bias shows:

        1. They are willing to pass laws to shut down workshops and factories in
        cities, limit traffic, make public transport more expensive (by requiring more
        expensive technonolgy), etc. because they have to breathe the same air as every
        one else. But hey don't really care if thousands of poorer citizens lose their
        jobs, go hungry or are forced to migrate.

        2. On the other hand, the same concerned activists rarely demand that every
        one must get clean and bacteria free water in their taps (if and when they get
        it) because the upperclass can afford to buy bottled water.

        From my experience in India, letters to newspapers only represent upper
        class views. Street protests reflect the views of the "other". I am afraid the
        "other " does not see our views as benign. Citizens hearings in Delhi have
        brought ot the fact that some of our clean air policies have made life
        difficult for hundreds of thousands, many of them have pulled thier children out
        of school, others have sent their familiesd back to villages, still others are
        forced into prostitution, and so on. They certainly don't believe that we want a
        better world.

        Sustainable transport policies will have to keep human beings in the centre and
        not just chemically clean air.

        Dinesh Mohan

        eric.britton@... wrote:

> [...]
        > taxi
        > >drivers, call to the school of their children and discover if there are
        > >classes.
        > >
        > >Limit their activities of the day, carry out alone those that it considers
        > >really important.
        > >
        > >Try not to traffic for the places where they concentrate the protests, as
        > >downtown, for example.
        > >
        > >If it can go out with their particular vehicle, ask if some neighbor or
        > >relative goes for his same route and bring near it.
        > >
        > >If today's journey is not very long, use bicycle or put on comfortable
        > >clothes and walk.
        > >
        > >Remember that TransMilenio will lend its ordinary service, starting from
        > >5:30 o'clock including the new ones truncates them a.m., and park in the
        > >North Freeway and the Portal of Usme.
        > >
        > >In the event of an emergency, don't doubt to communicate with the Police.

        Send your response to DRAFT CHARTER ON PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO SAFETY, GO TO
        TRIPP website http://www.iitd.ac.in/tripp/

        [IMORTANT: if this server gives you trouble in sending a mail to me,
        you can use <trippdelhi@...> temporarily.]
        Dinesh Mohan
        Henry Ford Professor for Biomechanics and Transportation Safety
        Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Programme
        Room MS 808, Main Building
        Indian Institute of Technology
        Hauz Khas
        New Delhi 110016